From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA's Susquehanna University Names New President

From news@ELCA.ORG
Date 17 Oct 2000 10:14:09

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 17, 2000

ELCA'S SUSQUEHANNA UNIVERSITY NAMES NEW PRESIDENT
00-236-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Dr. L. Jay Lemons, 41, Wise, Va., was named
14th president of Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove, Pa., on Oct.
1.  Susquehanna is one of 28 colleges and universities of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
     Lemons succeeds Dr. Joel L. Cunningham, who left Susquehanna --
after serving as president for 16 years --  to become vice chancellor
and president of the University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn.
     Lemons will begin his new role at Susquehanna in early 2001.
Sara Kirkland is serving as acting president.  Since 1992 Lemons has
served as chancellor for the University of Virginia's College at
Wise.
     "It is difficult leaving a region and a college that we value
so much, but [my wife] Marsha and I are excited about our move to
Pennsylvania," said Lemons.  "We're looking forward to meeting new
friends and contributing to the special character and distinction
that a small private university like Susquehanna University offers.
I am truly honored to be called to the presidency of Susquehanna
University," he said.
     Lemons earned a bachelor of arts degree in philosophy and a
bachelor of science degree in physical and health education from
Nebraska Wesleyan University, Lincoln, in 1983.  He earned a master's
degree in educational psychology and college student development from
the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in 1985, while working as a
graduate assistant for the university's director of admissions.  In
1991 he received a doctorate in higher education administration from
the University of Virginia, Charlottesville.
     From 1989 to 1992 Lemons served as assistant to the president,
University of Virginia.
     Lemons is a member of the committee on professional
development, American Association of State Colleges and Universities;
the General Professional Advisory Committee of the State Council of
Higher Education of Virginia; and the board of trustees of the
Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center.  He is also a member of
the board of directors for the Virginia Business Higher Education
Council, the Southwest Virginia Public Education Consortium, the Wise
County Chamber of Commerce, the Virginia Economic Bridge Initiative
and the Tri-Cities All-America City Partnership.
     "We are delighted that Jay and Marsha have chosen to come to
Susquehanna," said Samuel D. Ross, Jr., chair of Susquehanna's board
of directors.  "Dr. Lemons' leadership ability and commitment to
create the best possible learning environment for students are
qualities that make him an excellent choice for Susquehanna's next
president," he said.
     Lemons was recommended by a 17-member presidential search
committee and approved by Susquehanna's board of directors.
     Jay and Marsha Lemons are the parents of four children.

For information contact: