From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church leader calls on U.S. to examine role in Middle East

From NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG
Date 19 Oct 2000 14:27:08

Oct. 19, 2000     News media contact: Joretta Purdue
·(202)546-8722·Washington    10-21-71B{479}

WASHINGTON (UMNS) - A United Methodist leader is calling upon both Israelis
and Palestinians to seek a durable peace following the outbreak of violence
that has claimed more than 100 lives in the Middle East.

In an Oct. 18 statement, the Rev. Thom White Wolf Fassett, top staff
executive with the denomination's social action agency, expressed dismay at
the breakdown of the peace process and praised the efforts of those who are
trying to stop the hostilities.

Fassett said Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak and Palestinian Chairman
Yasser Arafat were courageous to attend the recent summit in Egypt in the
face of political opposition and criticism, and that their meeting was
necessary to move toward peace.

"We urge Arab and Israeli leaders to take great care to avoid words and
actions that provoke or perpetuate hatred or violence," Fassett said.

Citing a statement from the church's 1996 Book of Resolutions, Fassett urged
rethinking the entire structure of aid to the Middle East, including the
possibility of redistributing it and the support of non-governmental
agencies working in the region.

"We call upon the United States government to seriously examine its own part
in the current crisis in the Middle East, with specific attention to the
amount and forms of military aid given to Israel," Fassett said. "Israel's
use of U.S.-supplied Apache and Cobra helicopters against Palestinians makes
the United States a complicit party in the current violence."

He also pointed to the church's call for "a comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace
agreement that would bring recognition and security to Israel and national
and human rights to the Palestinians."
# # #

This is the full, unedited text of the Rev. Thom White Wolf Fassett's
statement:

GBCS Calls on U.S. to Examine Role in Middle East Violence

This is a statement of General Secretary Thom White Wolf Fassett. The
General Board of Church and Society is directed to "speak its convictions,
interpretations, and concerns to the Church and to the world."

It is deeply disturbing to witness the death toll climb daily in the current
Israeli-Palestinian crisis. We join those mourning the loss of beloved
friends and family as well as those dismayed by the reversal of progress
toward peace in the region. We pray for God's healing presence to comfort
wounded hearts, bodies, and relationships.

We commend President Clinton for his efforts to mediate this long-standing
conflict, especially for his role in the orchestration and proceedings of
this week's summit in Sharm El-Sheikh. We likewise commend Prime Minister
Barak and Chairman Arafat for attending the summit on behalf of their
respective peoples in the face of political opposition and great grievances.
Such courageous actions are necessary to resume the journey toward peace.

Many steps are still to be taken on this journey. The General Board of
Church and Society of The United Methodist Church calls upon both Israelis
and Palestinians to end the use of violence and to seek durable peace,
breaking the destructive cycle that lures constructive efforts and energies
away from progress. This includes a call upon Israel to end its use of
excessive force against Palestinian civilians. We urge Arab and Israeli
leaders to take great care to avoid words and actions that provoke or
perpetuate hatred or violence.

Recognizing the complex, integral role of the United States in achieving
peace in the region, we insist that President Clinton and the U.S. Congress
exercise a greater degree of even-handedness in their involvement in the
peace and conflict management processes. Playing the role of a third party
requires the United States to hear and address Palestinian cries for justice
along with Israeli needs for security.

We call upon the United States government to seriously examine its own part
in the current crisis in the Middle East, with specific attention to the
amount and forms of military aid given to Israel. Israel's use of
U.S.-supplied Apache and Cobra helicopters against Palestinians makes the
United States a complicit party in the current violence. The United
Methodist Church requests "that the U.S. government re-evaluate the entire
structure of aid to the Middle East, one goal being to redistribute the huge
amount now given to Israel and Egypt, and a second goal being to consider
economic support for the efforts of non-governmental organizations,
including religious institutions, human rights groups, labor unions, and
professional groups" (The Book of Resolutions of The United Methodist
Church, 1996).

The fact that the current uprising began in Jerusalem, sparked by a
political move with religious aspects, underscores the necessity of securing
a settlement on Jerusalem that addresses the real need for two peoples - the
Palestinians and Israelis - and three religious groups - the Jews,
Christians, and Muslims - to share the city. Jerusalem is a place of history
and heritage for many, so open access to the holy sites must also be secured
for pilgrims and tourists of all faiths and nationalities. Sole sovereignty
over the city or its landmarks is unjust for the region's residents and
visitors and is antithetical to peace, as demonstrated by the current
violence.

The United Methodist Church reaffirms its commitment "to the objective of a
comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace agreement that would bring recognition and
security to Israel and national and human rights to the Palestinians" (The
Book of Resolutions of The United Methodist Church, 1996). We continue in
earnest prayer and hope for this vision to become a reality.

# # #

Only the General Conference speaks for the entire denomination. The General
Board of Church and Society is the international public policy and social
action agency of The United Methodist Church.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org