From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church leaders urge renewed efforts at peace in Middle East

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 23 Oct 2000 11:34:25

2000-171
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

Church leaders urge renewed efforts at peace in Middle East

by James Solheim

     (ENS) Church leaders around the world, expressing deep concern for the
recent spate of violence, are urging renewed efforts to find peace in the Middle
East.

     "We call on all parties to cease immediately all acts of violence and
provocation to violence," said a statement from the National Council of Churches
and Church World Service. "We urge the international community, acting singly or
together, to assist the parties in de-escalating their conflict and in finding
alternative ways to address their increasingly bitter grievances with each other.
All must pull back from the brink of uncontrollable violent confrontation, where
every incident and each life lost only fuels further violence and loss of life."

     Noting the disproportionate suffering of Palestinians, the NCC said, "We
call upon Mr. Barak to practice restraint, as we urge Mr. Arafat to do all in his
power to stop the violence." The statement said that the frustrated aspirations
of the Palestinian people for a sovereign state contributed to the violence.
"Neither has the process provided for the security, acceptance and normalization
of relationships so strongly desired by the Israelis. The goals of both parties
can be achieved only through the observance of international law and the
implementation of relevant resolutions," the statement said.

     Churches for Middle East Peace, a coalition of 15 denominations and church
organizations (including the Episcopal Church), deplored the use by Israeli
forces of helicopter gunships and antitank missiles and called for cancellation
of the sale of military helicopters through U.S. military assistance funds. The
Conference of Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America also
questioned the sale of Blackhawk and Apache helicopters to Israel.

Key to stability

     Christian leaders in the area are united in calling for "the liberation of
Palestinian territory" and for the "formation of a Palestinian state with East
Jerusalem as its capital," calling it the key to stability in the Middle East.

     Emphasizing the need for peace and reconciliation between Israelis and
Palestinians, Marwan Bishara said, "In the end, when the dust settles and we have
buried the dead, we still have to live together." Bishara is an Israeli Arab who
is a member of the Knesset, the parliament.

     "I still believe that there is a groundswell of opinion among ordinary
people who want to live in peace--but that can be only so when we have mutual
respect," said Dean Michael Sellors of St. George's Anglican Cathedral in
Jerusalem.

     "We Christian leaders are against any provocative actions," said Bishop
Munib Younan of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Palestine and Jordan. "Neither
provocation nor violence will bring just peace." He added that he was displeased
that the situation was turning from "territorial disagreements to a religious
war."

     Younan said that there is no alternative to peace. "In just peace, everybody
will be a victor, but war means that all of us are losers. Weapons and arms will
not bring a just peace, only dialogue can do that."

Enough bloodshed

     "Enough bloodshed," said Latin Patriarch Michel Sabbah of Jerusalem, a
Palestinian. "The people should be given their right to live and to self-
determination. The Palestinian state must be born and have stability which allows
it to reorganize its own affairs, internal and external." He also argued that
Jerusalem should be a road to peace and not division, with a holiness protected
and respected by its governors."

     Sabbah was among the 13 top church leaders who participated in an emotional
service of ecumenical prayers calling for peace. In his homily, the patriarch
said, "We pray for the Jewish people, our partner in this land in making justice
and security for Palestinians and Israelis alike," as well as for political
leaders on both sides.

     The Rev. Konrad Raiser of the World Council of Churches said in a letter to
U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan that Christians, Jews and Muslims alike believe
that "Jerusalem is a Holy City that God intended to be a haven of peace, the
symbol of harmony among the nations."

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office of News and
Information.