From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Holy See Renews Call For International Satute for Jerusalem

From wfn@wfn.org
Date 03 Nov 2000 21:59:48

Contacts:
In US: Fr. Labib Kobti, Email: LabibKobti@aol.com
In Israel: Apostolic Delegation, Tel: (972-2) 628-2298;
Email:  vatge@netvision.net.il

VATICAN CITY, OCT 31, 2000 (VIS) - Archbishop Renato Martino, Holy See
permanent observer to the United Nations, spoke yesterday in New York
before the Special Political and Decolonization Committee of the 55th
session of the General Assembly on Item 84, U.N. Relief and Works
Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East.

"The recent outbreak of violence in many of the areas served by UNRWA
is a cause of grave concern for my delegation," he said. He cited, as
a result of the violence, the deaths, injuries, disruption of vital
social services, and suffering undergone by families. "The Holy See
calls upon the international community to continue to assist the
Israelis and the Palestinians in bringing an end to violence and in
addressing the basic issues of justice and freedom called for by Pope
John Paul."

Archbishop Martino added that his delegation hoped that solutions to
problems in the region "will include the question of the city of
Jerusalem. In light of the recent violence, the Holy See renews its
consistent call for an internationally guaranteed statute to safeguard
the sites sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims," with "the proper
recognition of the spiritual patrimony of the three monotheistic
religions. ... Moreover, my delegation believes that the Holy Places
should receive protection from their use for political gain."

He concluding by quoting the Holy Father's words to workers and
volunteers at the Deheisheh refugee camp during his March pilgrimage
to the Holy Land: "Believe in the task that you are fulfilling!
Genuine and practical solidarity with those in need is not a favor
conceded, it is a demand of our shared humanity and a recognition of
the dignity of every human being."