From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

U.S. Citizens in Palestine Voice Their Concerns

From wfn@wfn.org
Date 04 Nov 2000 05:31:15

Topic: U.S. Citizens in Palestine Voice Their Concerns

Contact: Peter Kapenga
Friends Boys School, Ramallah, West Bank
Tel: (972-2) 295-6230
Email: Acctoffice@palnet.com

RAMALLAH, WEST BANK, October 30 –In a press conference held today in
Ramallah, West Bank, approximately 100 U.S. citizens gathered at the Friends
Boys School to express their deep concern over the continuing
carnage in Palestine and the failure of the U.S. government to take
a just stance in the Israel/Palestinian conflict. The group called on
the United States to live up to its role as an “honest broker” in
peace efforts and to uphold the principles of justice, liberty and
human rights that America stands for.

Among the concerns that were raised by the participants at the
press conference include: the terrorization of Palestinian civilians
and disregard for human rights by the Israeli military, the lack of
balance in U.S actions and statements, and America’s role in
supporting the military occupation without insisting on compliance
with international law governing occupation. Also brought to light
was the failure of the U.S. Consulate to be responsive to the needs
of Arab Americans living in the occupied territories.

One woman related that her son, a U.S. citizen visiting in Palestine, was
arrested and tortured by Israeli forces on his way to the
neighborhood grocery store. “He has been held for over a month
now without charge.” Palestinian American school children sent a
message to their peers in the U.S., “while you’re going to parties
and preparing for homecoming, we’re hiding from missiles and
bullets,” said Saed Atshan.

Media bias and general mischaracterization of the conflict and the current
crises were also mentioned.
“It is wrong for the United States to support continued military
occupation and the use of brutal force by Israel against Palestinian
civilians. We call on our government to take decisive steps towards
ensuring compliance with international and humanitarian law and to
play a vital role in bringing an immediate end to Israel’s occupation
of the Palestinian people” said spokesman Mohammad Abdrabbo.

Press Statement:
Americans Abroad Concerned Over U.S. Role in Israel/Palestinian
Conflict
October 30, 2000

We are U.S. citizens, living in occupied Jerusalem, West Bank and
Gaza Strip, outraged over the continuing carnage in Palestine,
which so far has resulted in the death of at least 130 Palestinians,
4 Palestinian security officers, one Israeli civilian, and 6 Israeli
soldiers. No less than 6000 Palestinian civilians lie injured. 30% of
the Palestinian casualties are children 18 years of age and under.

We deplore the failure of our government to condemn the use of
lethal weaponry, including missiles, helicopter gunships, rubber-
coated steel bullets, live ammunition, heavy machine gunfire,
exploding dum-dum bullets, and linked 40mm grenade launchers
by Israeli troops, against Palestinian civilians. Many of us have
watched as American-made attack helicopters have been used to
bomb Palestinian residential areas, including in our own
neighborhoods.

We condemn the unilateral actions and statements of our
Administration, Congress and candidates for public office, which
contradict the U.S. government’s position as an “honest broker” in
peace efforts. We specifically denounce the U.S. Congress’
passage of Resolution 426, placing the blame for the current
violence entirely on the Palestinian leadership, and the U.S.
Administration’s plans to push for additional military aid to Israel.
We regret our government’s decision to close its embassies in the
Arab world. We are concerned about the growing alienation on the
popular level in the Arab world due to the perception of lack of
balance in U.S, policy.
We call on the Administration to immediately implement the
following:

1. Protection for Palestinian Civilians: Take the lead in providing
international protection for Palestinian civilians, particularly in the
areas of conflict and flash points.

2. International Inquiry: Support the demand for an immediate
international inquiry into the root causes of the conflict, as called
for in UN Resolution 1322, and support the immediate
implementation of the resolution.

3. Humanitarian Assistance: Help ensure that international
emergency aid, including medical supplies and foodstuffs, reach
the Palestinian people.

4. Palestinian Rights: Reaffirm and strengthen President Clinton’s
statement in Gaza supporting Palestinian inalienable rights for self-
determination in the same manner that he has recently supported
the Kosovar people in their fight for freedom.
5. Arms Shipments: Suspend arms shipments to Israel in light of
the use of U.S. supplied weapons against Palestinian civilians, a
violation of the U.S. Arms Export Control Act.
6. Foreign Aid: Halt the transfer of U.S. taxpayer money to Israel,
currently in the amount of 6 billion dollars per year, for as long as
Israel remains in violation of UN Resolutions and international law.
We are currently witnessing some of the worst violence this region
has ever seen. Our homes and businesses are being attacked by
the Israeli military on a daily basis.

Our children live in terror as a result of these on-going attacks.
The United States has the power to facilitate an immediate end to the illegal
Israeli occupation. Too many US tax dollars, too many lives, too much
injustice to the
Palestinian people, and too much suffering and waste should make
the events of the last one month the final wake up call.
The time has come for the United States to place itself on the right side of
history in this 50+ year conflict. We expect our government to
stand up for the justice, liberty and human rights that America
stands for.
___