From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Women of the ELCA Exhibits Organizational Growth

From news@ELCA.ORG
Date 06 Nov 2000 11:33:42

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 6, 2000

WOMEN OF THE ELCA EXHIBITS ORGANIZATIONAL GROWTH
00-263-CL*

     PHILADELPHIA (ELCA) -- Adding three new units to the more than
7,800 congregational units of the Women of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America may not seem like much, but these three are
"special units" that represent one of the new ways the organization
hopes to grow.
     Joy Lutheran Church, Spartansburg, S.C; Grace Lutheran Church,
Gulf Shores, Ala., and Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Fairhope, Ala.,
are mission congregations, one of the "new points of entry" for the
organization.
     Colleges, seminaries, nursing homes and other institutions are
places where more "special units" could be added in the near future,
said Catherine I. H. Braasch, executive director of the organization.
     "We're especially excited that these first three special units
came forth in congregations under development.  As a small group
ministry, Women of the ELCA can be an important, vital point of entry
for women into the life of Christ, as well as into women's
ministries," Braasch said in an interview after the board meeting.
     The three special units were approved by the organization's
executive board meeting here Oct. 13-14.
     The board also received reports and took actions on new points
of entry for participation in the organization through its anti-
racism ministry and its triennial gathering.
     The board adopted a proposed amendment to the organization's
constitution that states: "This community of women shall regard an
anti-racism identity as an institutional asset and actively seek full
participation and shared power in determining its mission, structure,
constituency, policies and practices."  The proposed amendment is
scheduled to be considered at the Women of the ELCA Fifth Triennial
Convention in July 2002.
     Board members took part in an anti-racism workshop just prior
to their meeting here and are recommending the executive boards of
the organization's 64 synodical units take part in similar anti-
racism experiences. The board is planning to have a presentation on
disabilities ministries at a future board meeting.
     The board will present its 2002 triennial convention theme as
"Listen, God is Calling."  About 500 women will attend as convention
delegates to deal with organizational business, but between 4,000 and
5,000 women are expected to participate in the event to be held in
Philadelphia July 8-14, 2002.
     A women of color gathering, which had been a pre-convention
event, will now be included at the beginning of the overall event.
"Listen, God is Calling" will also include participation by young
women and girls as developed by those involved in Young Women Seeing
Visions, an exploration ministry of the organization with young women
and girls.
     The board approved a schedule for the event that includes
worship, Bible study, workshops, forums, exhibits and business
sessions. A legislative experience in Washington, D.C., is
tentatively planned at the end of the event.
     The board selected San Antonio, Texas, as the site for the
Sixth Triennial Convention of the Women of the ELCA in 2005.
     Women of the ELCA involves an estimated half-million women.  It
is currently  going through an organizational self-assessment
"designed to test our organization's readiness, willingness and
capacity to focus on women's ministry in three to five key areas, and
to help up identify these areas," Braasch said.
     "In 2000 and beyond our challenge will be to listen to God's
call, build on what we have been given, claim and test the heritage
that is ours, and focus on strategically placing ourselves,
individually and organizationally, in the place where the Lord can
work through us -- the right place, the right time, the right
reasons."
     Data is being collected and processed. A report and
recommendations are expected to be acted on at the board's March 2001
meeting.
     "I have been busily involved in the organization self-
assessment as a member of the leadership team," said Linda Chinnia,
Baltimore, president of the organization.  "I am confident that this
process will lead us into new avenues for involvement and action!"
     The first year of the 1999-2000 triennium has been a time of
staff transitions, including new assignments and groupings within
existing staff, completion of temporary assignments and hiring to
fill vacancies, Braasch told the board.  The organization has 27
staff members.  In her report, Braasch listed 16 staff changes for
the year.
     In addition to working on broadening its membership and
developing the organization, the board is dealing with declining
revenue.
     The board adopted a budget for 2001 of $3,878,770 although
revenues are anticipated at $3,612,114.  That leaves a $266,656
"challenge" which could also be called a "deficit," Braasch said,
"except for the fact that we have more than adequate reserves to make
up this modest difference between the organization's expectations and
conservative estimates of revenue."  It is lower than the 2000 budget
"challenge" of $478,872.
     The budget is based on a recommendation made to the board in
March 2000, which set the goal to have a balanced budget, based on
current year revenues, by 2003, Braasch said in an interview.
     "We are achieving significant economies by putting a sharp
pencil to past practices and seeking additional revenue streams,"
Braasch said.
     The organization in the past has budgeted a $1 million gift to
the church. That is now budgeted for $700,000.  Last year the actual
gift was $514,607 and income is coming in slower this year than last
year.  "Historically, Women of the ELCA receives two-thirds of its
revenue during the last quarter of the fiscal year," Braasch said
after the board meeting.
     "I have a really hard time approving a budget that is really
not balanced," said Janet Brewer, Anchorage, Alaska, vice president
of the organization.
     "Part of me says this is not fiscally responsible, but ministry
doesn't happen in a bank account," said Jackie Chattopadhyay, Tustin,
Calif.
     If additional income is not developed, the shortfall will be
made up from reserves.
     "We have been blessed by reserves by the good stewardship of
sisters before us, sisters now and sisters coming after us.  If we
are saying we want to use money for mission, I feel strongly that is
why the sisters gave it," Braasch said.

     *Carolyn Lewis, Frazer, Pa., is a correspondent for The
Lutheran, a magazine for the ELCA, and former ELCA news director.

For information contact: