From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jerusalem YMCA Calls for Help in Crisis

From wfn@wfn.org
Date 07 Nov 2000 13:32:39

--=====================_13613911==_.ALT

Topic: Jerusalem YMCA Calls for Help in Crisis

Contact: Judeh M. Majaj, general secretary
East Jerusalem YMCA
Telephone: (972-2) 627-7966
Email: capitol@east-jerusalem-ymca.org
Website: www.east-jerusalem-ymca.org

JERUSALEM, November 7, 2000---Following is the text of an urgent appeal from
the East Jerusalem YMCA. It was issued in the light of Israeli shelling of
its rehabilitation center located six miles south in the Fields of the
Shepherds in Beit Sahour. The Rehabilitation Center has, for more than a
decade, helped Palestinians who were severely injured during the first
Palestinian uprising, or intifida, develop woodworking skills to support
themselves. The appeal was signed by the YMCA's general secretary and the
chairperson of its board of directors.

"We turn to you, our partners, at this time of great difficulty. The
Peace Process is not only threatened, it is perhaps dead. We turn to
you, and ask that you advocate on our behalf.

"The East Jerusalem YMCA believes that the government of Israel is
responsible for the bloody circle of violence, having allowed Mr.
Sharon to visit the Al Aqsa Mosque, guarded by some two thousand
well-equipped members of the armed forces.

"The East Jerusalem YMCA strongly condemns the systematic killing and
injury of our Palestinian people, be they in the Liberated Palestinian
Territories, in the Holy City of Jerusalem or inside Israel. These
events appear designed to target and defeat the very cause for which
all Peace loving people in the world, including our own Palestinians,
have endeavored to accomplish since the Oslo Accords.

"The East Jerusalem YMCA strongly believes that a just and lasting
peace cannot be established on the dead bodies of our people, or the
demolished homes of our refugees in Gaza and the West Bank. Peace
must be established on the principles of truth and justice.

"The East Jerusalem YMCA believes that Peace comes with the
implementation of all the United Nations resolutions related to the
Palestinian cause.

"Fearing the escalation of Israeli hostilities, which may result in
hundreds of martyrs and thousands of injured people, we, the people of
the East Jerusalem YMCA call upon you, as our friends and partners.
"We ask you to contact your governments, and demand that they act in a
manner that guarantees the safety and security of our Palestinian
children, women and men.

"We ask that you and your governments support the goal of many and call
for a proper investigation of the causes and agendas behind the
current bloody situation, to be carried out by a neutral party, such
as the United Nations.

"We ask that you call upon the government of Israel to withdraw all its
armed forces from all the Liberated Palestinian Territories, as well
as from areas still in dispute of occupation from 1967, including East
Jerusalem.

"We ask that you demand of the United Nations to act in a like manner
with Israel, as they acted with Iraq, by forcing the government of
Israel to comply with all United Nations Resolutions relating to the
Palestinian cause.

"Last but not least, We call upon you to hold us in your prayers, as
well as all bereaved families who have lost their loved ones, all
those injured in body, soul and spirit, and support us in whatever way
your can.

"With heartfelt thanks,

"+ The Rt. Rev. Riah Abu El-Assal, chairman Mr. Judeh M. Majaj, General
Secretary"

--=====================_13613911==_.ALT

Topic: Jerusalem YMCA Calls for Help in Crisis<br>
Contact: Judeh M. Majaj, general secretary <br>
East Jerusalem YMCA <br>
Telephone: (972-2) 627-7966 <br>
Email: capitol@east-jerusalem-ymca.org <br>
Website:
urgent appeal from <br>
the East Jerusalem YMCA. It was issued in the light of Israeli shelling
of <br>
its rehabilitation center located six miles south in the Fields of the
Shepherds in Beit Sahour. The Rehabilitation Center has, for more than a
decade, helped Palestinians who were severely injured during the first
Palestinian uprising, or intifida, develop woodworking skills to support
themselves. The appeal was signed by the YMCA's general secretary and the
chairperson of its board of directors.<br>
&quot;We turn to you, our partners, at this time of great difficulty. The
Peace Process is not only threatened, it is perhaps dead. We turn to
you, and ask that you advocate on our behalf.<br>
&quot;The East Jerusalem YMCA believes that the government of Israel is
responsible for the bloody circle of violence, having allowed Mr. <br>
Sharon to visit the Al Aqsa Mosque, guarded by some two thousand <br>
well-equipped members of the armed forces. <br>
&quot;The East Jerusalem YMCA strongly condemns the systematic killing
and <br>
injury of our Palestinian people, be they in the Liberated Palestinian
Territories, in the Holy City of Jerusalem or inside Israel. These <br>
events appear designed to target and defeat the very cause for which
all Peace loving people in the world, including our own Palestinians,
have endeavored to accomplish since the Oslo Accords.<br>
&quot;The East Jerusalem YMCA strongly believes that a just and lasting
peace cannot be established on the dead bodies of our people, or the
demolished homes of our refugees in Gaza and the West Bank. Peace <br>
must be established on the principles of truth and justice.<br>
&quot;The East Jerusalem YMCA believes that Peace comes with the <br>
implementation of all the United Nations resolutions related to the
Palestinian cause. <br>
&quot;Fearing the escalation of Israeli hostilities, which may result in
hundreds of martyrs and thousands of injured people, we, the people of
the East Jerusalem YMCA call upon you, as our friends and partners.
&quot;We ask you to contact your governments, and demand that they act in
a <br>
manner that guarantees the safety and security of our Palestinian <br>
children, women and men. <br>
&quot;We ask that you and your governments support the goal of many and
call <br>
for a proper investigation of the causes and agendas behind the <br>
current bloody situation, to be carried out by a neutral party, such
as the United Nations. <br>
&quot;We ask that you call upon the government of Israel to withdraw all
its <br>
armed forces from all the Liberated Palestinian Territories, as well
as from areas still in dispute of occupation from 1967, including East
Jerusalem. <br>
&quot;We ask that you demand of the United Nations to act in a like
manner <br>
with Israel, as they acted with Iraq, by forcing the government of <br>
Israel to comply with all United Nations Resolutions relating to the
Palestinian cause.<br>
&quot;Last but not least, We call upon you to hold us in your prayers, as
well as all bereaved families who have lost their loved ones, all <br>
those injured in body, soul and spirit, and support us in whatever way
your can. <br>
&quot;With heartfelt thanks,<br>
&quot;+ The Rt. Rev. Riah Abu El-Assal, chairman Mr. Judeh M. Majaj,
General Secretary&quot; <br>