From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Topic: Pope Sends Solidarity Letter to Holy Land Catholics

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date 09 Nov 2000 07:05:59

Topic:  Pope Sends Solidarity Letter to Holy Land Catholics

Contact:
Fr. Raed Awad Abussahlin
The Latin (Catholic) Patriarchate of Jerusalem
(972-2) 628-2323
Email: latinpat@actcom.co.il

JERUSALEM,  November 8--Following is the text of a letter of solidarity sent
by Pope John Paul II to Catholics in the Holy Land.  It was addressed to the
Latin Patriarch, who also serves as President of all Catholic bishops in
Israel and Palestine, some of whom represent various Oriental Catholic rites.
 An explanation of these other churches follows the papal message.

To His Beatitude Michel Sabbah
Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem
And President of the Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries
of the Holy Land

The trials being experienced at the present time by the peoples of the Holy
Land are for me a source of great suffering, and I would like to express to
everyone, without exception, my heartfelt solidarity.

The sudden transition from negotiation to confrontation undoubtedly
represents a setback for peace, but no-one must give way to fatalism: the
Israeli and Palestinian peoples are called by geography and history to live
together.

The will only be able to do so in a peaceful and lasting way if all
individuals see their fundamental rights guaranteed: both the Israeli people
and the Palestinian people are equally entitled to live in their own home in
dignity and security.

Only a return to the negotiating table on an equal footing, with due respect
for international law, is capable of disclosing a future of brotherhood and
peace for those who live in this blessed land.

Recalling my pilgrimage to your region a few months ago, I think with emotion
of all those places which speak to us of the history of God's contact with
man and which represent an appeal to work together to ensue that violence,
hatred or suspicion will never again disfigure this part of the world.

I encourage you, the Catholic Bishops of the Holy Land, together with all the
leaders of the Christian communities, to renew your efforts to ensure that
relationships between all are inspired by mutual respect, in humility and
trust.

I appeal likewise to those who have the task of guiding the followers of
Judaism and Islam to draw from the wellspring of their beliefs all the
energies needed so that the inner and outward peace to which the peoples
aspire may become a reality

I invite the international community to continue its efforts to help both
sides to devise solutions which will ensure the security and just tranquility
which they desire, and which are the prerogatives of every nation and the
preconditions of life and progress for every society.
Invoking upon all people of good will the favour of Almighty God, who will
speak peace to his people, to his saints, to those who turn to him in their
hearts (cf. Ps 85:9), with affection I impart to Your Beatitude and to your
Brothers in the Episcopate, as also to all the faithful entrusted to your
care and theirs, my Apostolic Blessing.

^From the Vatican, 6 November 2000

John Paul II

Explanation of Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries Bishops in the Holy Land:

Provided by Fr. Raed Awad Abussahlin
The Latin (Catholic) Patriarchate of Jerusalem

Let me here introduce you the Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries in the Holy
Land:

This Assembly is composed of the six Catholic churches in the Holy Land. They
meet twice a year for three days in order to discuss all the issues
concerning their churches and common collaboration and work.

The main project, which was realized by this Assembly, is the diocesan synod,
which lasted more than five years and was concluded with the General Assembly
of the Synod last 8-12 February 2000.

The General Pastoral Plan was presented to the Pope during the masses he
celebrated in Amman, Bethlehem and Nazareth, during his late March visit to
the Holy Land.  It was the work of the Synod representatives of all the
churches. This Pastoral Plan will be the program of our churches in the next
50 years.

These six churches and their heads are as follows:

+ H.B. Msgr. Michel Sabbah, Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem
+ Msgr. Selim Sayegh, Latin Patriarchal Vicar in Amman for Jordan.
+ Msgr. Boulos Marcuzzo, Latin Patriarchal Vicar in Nazareth for Israel.
+ Msgr. Kamal Hanna Bathish, Latin Patriarchal General Vicar in Jerusalem.
+ Msgr. Boutos Muallem, Patriarchal Vicar of the Melkite Church in Haifa for
Galilee.
+ Msgr. Lutfi Lahham, Patriarchal Vicar of the Melkite Church in Jerusalem
for Palestine.
+ Msgr. George Al-Murr, Patriarchal Vicar of the Melkite Church in Amman for
Jordan.
+ Msgr. Paul Sayyah, Patriarchal Vicar of the Maronites in Palestine, Israel
and Jordan.
+ Msgr. André Bedoghlian, Patriarchal Vicar of the Armenian Catholic Church.
+ Msgr. Grégoire Boutros Abdel-Ahad, Patriarchal Vicar of Syrian Catholic
Church.
+ Rev. Fr. Paul Collin, Vicar general of the Catholic Caldean church.
+ Rev. Fr. Giovanni Battistelli, ofm, Custos of the Holy Land.

The Apostolic Delegate for Palestine in Jerusalem and Nuncio for Israel in
Jaffa, Msgr. Pietro Sambi meets normally with the members of the Assembly as
a representative of the Vatican.

-END_