From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Topic: Jerusalem Patriarchs Issue Call for a Just Peace

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date 10 Nov 2000 19:00:02

--part1_18.4bd0fd4.273e0fb5_boundary

Topic: Jerusalem Patriarchs Issue Call for Peace, Justice

Contact:  Harry Hagopian
Middle East Council of Churches
Tel: (972-2)  628-4493
Email: mecceto@cc.huji.ac.il

JERUSALEM,  November 9, 2000:  Following is the text of "A Faithful Appeal=20
from the Churches of Jerusalem," issued today by the Patriarchs and Heads of=
=20
the thirteen historic churches in Jerusalem.=20

A Faithful Appeal from the Churches of Jerusalem

"They act as if my people=E2=80=99s wounds were only scratches. =E2=80=98All=
 is well=E2=80=99, they=20
say, when all is not well.=E2=80=9D=C2=A0=C2=A0 --Jeremiah 6:14

On 28 September 2000, following the provocative visit of the Israeli=20
Opposition Likud leader to the esplanade of the Haram al-Sharif in Jerusalem=
,=20
a new Palestinian uprising burstforth in the Holy Land.  This incident=20
itself, as much as the events that ensued, should have clearly signalled to=20
both the Israeli and Palestinian leadership of the dire need to press on wit=
h=20
their dialogue in addressing the whole process of peace and in resolving all=
=20
outstanding issues - including the question of Jerusalem.=20

Yet, Israel preferred to respond with an even larger recourse to force. =20
Fully conscious of our duty as religious leaders, we look with extreme pain=20
and sadness at all the deaths, injuries and handicaps of this latest=20
outburst. =20

Although both peoples have been affected by the events of the past five=20
weeks, we cannot but also note that the overwhelming majority of the victims=
=20
are Palestinians. We voice our profound solidarity and deep sympathy with al=
l=20
of them, and offer our condolences to the families of all those - young or=20
old - who have lost their lives or sustained injuries.=20

We believe that it is truly high time to put an end to such cycles of mutual=
 =20
 disaster. =C2=A0We stress that the rights of one people are also the rights=
 of=20
the other people.  Palestinians should be ableto enjoy their own full=20
security and to protect their interests and those of their people as much as=
=20
Israel should be able to enjoy its full security and to protect its interest=
s=20
and those of its people.  Both peoples can then live peacefully side by side=
,=20
each in their own sovereign state, without being asource of fear for the=20
other.=20

But so long as one people remains the subject of injustice, it will continue=
=20
to be a constant source of fear and insecurity for its neighbour.  The Churc=
h=20
believes that it is the right as much as duty of an occupied people to=20
struggle against injustice in order to gain their freedom, although it also=20
believes that non-violent means of struggle remain stronger and far more=20
efficient. In this sense, both parties must show the necessary fortitude,=20
both in their hearts and in their minds, to look at the core of the conflict=
=20
so that the Palestinian people can gain at long last its full freedom within=
=20
its own sustainable state.=20

It is imperative now to implement the principles of international legitimacy=
=20
by enforcing the binding UN Security Council resolutions.=C2=A0 Such fortitu=
de is=20
a wise sign of foresight and an indispensable=C2=A0 pre-requisite for ong-la=
sting=20
peace. =20

It remains our conviction that justice will eventually prevail and violence=20
will inevitably cease one day.=C2=A0 Only then can reconciliation bringboth=20
peoples together again.  As such, it would be much wiser and more courageous=
=20
to go directly to a dialogue that secures peace through those elements of=20
justice, security and dignity without suffering many more episodes of painfu=
l=20
violence.=C2=A0 =20

Today, from the Holy City of Jerusalem, we cry out our desire to see peace=20
with justice, equality and security established soon between Palestinians an=
d=20
Israelis on this holy land that was chosen by God to reveal His wisdom to=20
human beings.  We appeal to all Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant Churches=20
world-wide, as well as to all =E2=80=98friends of peace=E2=80=99 in our land=
, in the region=20
and across the whole world to toil together for the establishment of a=20
comprehensive, just and durable peace between Israelis and Palestinians.=20

Peace in justice remains the absolute and inviolable right of both peoples o=
f=20
this land.  Peace should not be sacrificed for political pride.  After all,=20
peace can only be the fruit of justice. =20

"Some trust in their war chariots and others in their horses, but we trust i=
n=20
the power of the Lord our God."=C2=A0 =C2=A0--Psalm 20:7.

Signed on November 9, 2000 by:

His Beatitude Diodoros I,=20
       Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem
His Beatitude Michel Sabbah,=20
       Latin Catholic Patriarch of Jerusalem
His Beatitude Torkom Manoogian,=20
       Armenian Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem
His Eminence Fr. Giovanni Battisteli,
       Custos of the Holy Land, Latin Catholic Church
His Eminence Abraham,
       Coptic Orthodox Church Archbishop in Jerusalem
His Grace, Abuna Matheus,
       Ethiopian Orthodox Archbishop in Jerusalem
His Grace Lutafi Laham,
       Greek Catholic Archbishop and Patriarchal Vicar
His Grace, Andre Bedoghlian,
       Archbishop of the Armenian Catholic Church=20
His Grace Paul Sayyah,
       Patriarchal Vicar, Maronite Church in Jerusalem
His Grace, Mar Swerios Maki Murad,=20
       Syrian Orthodox Archbishop and Patriarchal Vicar  to Jerusalem,=20
       Jordan and the Holy Land
His Grace Butros Abdul Ahad,
       Syrian Catholic Bishop in Jerusalem
His Grace Riah Abu Al-Assal,
       Bishop of the Episcopal Church in Jerusalem
His Grace Munib Younan,
      Bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jerusalem

-End-

Signed by Greek Orthodon Patriarch, Latin Patriarch, Armenian Patriarch,=20
Custos or the Holy Land, Coptic Archbishop, Syriac Archbishop, Ethiopian=20
Archbishop, Anglican Bishop, Greek-Cath. Patriarc. Vicar, Lutheran Bishop,=20
Maronite Patriarchal Vicar, Cath. Syriac Patriarc.Vicar,

--part1_18.4bd0fd4.273e0fb5_boundary

<HTML><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#ffffff"><FONT  SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" FACE=3D"Boo=
kman Old Style" LANG=3D"0">Topic: Jerusalem Patriarchs Issue Call for Peace,=
 Justice
<BR>
<BR>Contact: &nbsp;Harry Hagopian
<BR>Middle East Council of Churches
<BR>Tel: (972-2) &nbsp;628-4493
<BR>Email: mecceto@cc.huji.ac.il
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>JERUSALEM, &nbsp;November 9, 2000: &nbsp;Following is the text of "A Fai=
thful Appeal <BR>from the Churches of Jerusalem," issued today by the Patria=
rchs and Heads of <BR>the thirteen historic churches in Jerusalem.=20
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>A Faithful Appeal from the Churches of Jerusalem
<BR>
<BR>"They act as if my people=E2=80=99s wounds were only scratches. =E2=80=
=98All is well=E2=80=99, they <BR>say, when all is not well.=E2=80=9D=C2=A0=
=C2=A0 --Jeremiah 6:14
<BR>
<BR>On 28 September 2000, following the provocative visit of the Israeli <BR=
>Opposition Likud leader to the esplanade of the Haram al-Sharif in Jerusale=
m, <BR>a new Palestinian uprising burstforth in the Holy Land. &nbsp;This in=
cident <BR>itself, as much as the events that ensued, should have clearly si=
gnalled to <BR>both the Israeli and Palestinian leadership of the dire need=20=
to press on with <BR>their dialogue in addressing the whole process of peace=
 and in resolving all <BR>outstanding issues - including the question of Jer=
usalem.=20
<BR>
<BR>Yet, Israel preferred to respond with an even larger recourse to force.=20=
&nbsp;<BR>Fully conscious of our duty as religious leaders, we look with ext=
reme pain <BR>and sadness at all the deaths, injuries and handicaps of this=20=
latest <BR>outburst. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>Although both peoples have been affected by the events of the past five=20=
<BR>weeks, we cannot but also note that the overwhelming majority of the vic=
tims <BR>are Palestinians. We voice our profound solidarity and deep sympath=
y with all <BR>of them, and offer our condolences to the families of all tho=
se - young or <BR>old - who have lost their lives or sustained injuries.=20
<BR>
<BR>We believe that it is truly high time to put an end to such cycles of mu=
tual &nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;disaster. =C2=A0We stress that the rights of one people=
 are also the rights of <BR>the other people. &nbsp;Palestinians should be a=
bleto enjoy their own full <BR>security and to protect their interests and t=
hose of their people as much as <BR>Israel should be able to enjoy its full=20=
security and to protect its interests <BR>and those of its people. &nbsp;Bot=
h peoples can then live peacefully side by side, <BR>each in their own sover=
eign state, without being asource of fear for the <BR>other.=20
<BR>
<BR>But so long as one people remains the subject of injustice, it will cont=
inue <BR>to be a constant source of fear and insecurity for its neighbour. &=
nbsp;The Church <BR>believes that it is the right as much as duty of an occu=
pied people to <BR>struggle against injustice in order to gain their freedom=
, although it also <BR>believes that non-violent means of struggle remain st=
ronger and far more <BR>efficient. In this sense, both parties must show the=
 necessary fortitude, <BR>both in their hearts and in their minds, to look a=
t the core of the conflict <BR>so that the Palestinian people can gain at lo=
ng last its full freedom within <BR>its own sustainable state.=20
<BR>
<BR>It is imperative now to implement the principles of international legiti=
macy <BR>by enforcing the binding UN Security Council resolutions.=C2=A0 Suc=
h fortitude is <BR>a wise sign of foresight and an indispensable=C2=A0 pre-r=
equisite for ong-lasting <BR>peace. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>It remains our conviction that justice will eventually prevail and viole=
nce <BR>will inevitably cease one day.=C2=A0 Only then can reconciliation br=
ingboth <BR>peoples together again. &nbsp;As such, it would be much wiser an=
d more courageous <BR>to go directly to a dialogue that secures peace throug=
h those elements of <BR>justice, security and dignity without suffering many=
 more episodes of painful <BR>violence.=C2=A0 &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>Today, from the Holy City of Jerusalem, we cry out our desire to see pea=
ce <BR>with justice, equality and security established soon between Palestin=
ians and <BR>Israelis on this holy land that was chosen by God to reveal His=
 wisdom to <BR>human beings. &nbsp;We appeal to all Orthodox, Catholic and P=
rotestant Churches <BR>world-wide, as well as to all =E2=80=98friends of pea=
ce=E2=80=99 in our land, in the region <BR>and across the whole world to toi=
l together for the establishment of a <BR>comprehensive, just and durable pe=
ace between Israelis and Palestinians.=20
<BR>
<BR>Peace in justice remains the absolute and inviolable right of both peopl=
es of <BR>this land. &nbsp;Peace should not be sacrificed for political prid=
e. &nbsp;After all, <BR>peace can only be the fruit of justice. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>"Some trust in their war chariots and others in their horses, but we tru=
st in <BR>the power of the Lord our God."=C2=A0 =C2=A0--Psalm 20:7.
<BR>
<BR>Signed on November 9, 2000 by:
<BR>
<BR>His Beatitude Diodoros I,=20
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusal=
em
<BR>His Beatitude Michel Sabbah,=20
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Latin Catholic Patriarch of Jerusal=
em
<BR>His Beatitude Torkom Manoogian,=20
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Armenian Orthodox Patriarch of Jeru=
salem
<BR>His Eminence Fr. Giovanni Battisteli,
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Custos of the Holy Land, Latin Cath=
olic Church
<BR>His Eminence Abraham,
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Coptic Orthodox Church Archbishop i=
n Jerusalem
<BR>His Grace, Abuna Matheus,
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Ethiopian Orthodox Archbishop in Je=
rusalem
<BR>His Grace Lutafi Laham,
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Greek Catholic Archbishop and Patri=
archal Vicar
<BR>His Grace, Andre Bedoghlian,
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Archbishop of the Armenian Catholic=
 Church=20
<BR>His Grace Paul Sayyah,
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Patriarchal Vicar, Maronite Church=20=
in Jerusalem
<BR>His Grace, Mar Swerios Maki Murad,=20
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Syrian Orthodox Archbishop and Patr=
iarchal Vicar &nbsp;to Jerusalem,=20
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Jordan and the Holy Land
<BR>His Grace Butros Abdul Ahad,
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Syrian Catholic Bishop in Jerusalem
<BR>His Grace Riah Abu Al-Assal,
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Bishop of the Episcopal Church in J=
erusalem
<BR>His Grace Munib Younan,
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Church in Je=
rusalem
<BR>
<BR>-End-
<BR>
<BR><P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><P ALIGN=3DLEFT></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#ff0000" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SERIF=
" FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style" LANG=3D"0"><B>Signed by </FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"=
#000000" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style" LANG=3D"0"></B=
>Greek Orthodon Patriarch, Latin Patriarch, Armenian Patriarch, <BR>Custos o=
r the Holy Land, Coptic Archbishop, Syriac Archbishop, Ethiopian <BR>Archbis=
hop, Anglican Bishop, Greek-Cath. Patriarc. Vicar, Lutheran Bishop, <BR>Maro=
nite Patriarchal Vicar, Cath. Syriac Patriarc.Vicar,
<BR><P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>