From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Small group takes members deep into own faith

From NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG
Date 13 Nov 2000 12:59:20

Nov. 13, 2000 News media contact: Linda Green·(615)742-5470·Nashville, Tenn.
10-71B{513}

NOTE: This article may be used as a sidebar to UMNS story #512.

By John A. Lovelace*

DALLAS (UMNS) -- If she hadn't been at Exploration 2000, Lorraine would have
been at a Veterans' Day observance back home in Kansas.

Colin would have been at a football game between his United Methodist school
and its Hoosier State archrival.

Nichole would have been working at a K-mart in South Dakota, and Chris would
have been working on an exegetical paper about Matthew and Luke.

But for just this one Nov. 10-12 weekend, these four young people and five
others constituted Exploration 2000 Small Group 102. And it was in their
unvarnished stories and interaction that one decidedly older visitor heard
and saw some of the future of United Methodist ministry. This small group
was part of a larger event that brought 1,300 young people together to hear
if God is calling them to ordained ministry.

Third-year seminarian Chris, who had attended an Exploration in 1992, had
been selected and trained in advance to be the group leader. His empathy
proved a sure guide as he helped the others trying to discern God's call on
their lives.

His question, "What have you brought to this event?" brought answers such
as: "Passion and enthusiasm for God and the Methodist Church."
"Encouragement." "Ability to absorb and take something home to my church."
"Energy. Optimism." "Readiness. We're gonna get a lot of questions from
people our age. It's good to be ready."

And this question: "What were you feeling on your way here?"

"Tired, anxious, not sure what to expect. Afraid I was going to be
intimidated." "Very relieved to get away from school." "Nervous. I hate
planes." "Anxious for some sort of affirmation of where I think I'm headed."

And this: "How did you hear God calling you to be here?"

"Very open. I feel God's presence more than ever." "What I thought I wanted
to do didn't feel right." "I came here well prayed for."

At the small group's prayer time, special requests included healing of a
sore throat for one woman, a voice major; some resolution for another's
boyfriend; quick healing of a broken finger so one man could resume playing
guitar for his church's children's choir; and a smooth and easy path for the
nation's new president, whoever he might be.

At the evening's close, Chris asked the group members to leave items of
value with him to symbolize their commitment to being there (he promised to
return each one). A donated fraternity cap filled quickly with a set of car
and house keys, a necklace, chemistry book, wallet, watch and a paper list
of one week's schedule from a "low-tech Palm Pilot."

The following morning's session for Small Group 102 began almost playfully.
Chris gave every one a container of Play-Doh and challenged the members to
make something symbolizing what they had heard in the morning's Bible study
and theological reflection.

Erin quickly formed a chrysalis, heart and hand to symbolize a butterfly and
"my heart helping people and my hand offering love." Jason laid down a
Play-Doh spoon, symbolizing the hunger he had felt toward discerning an
answer to God's call and the nourishment he had been fed by the morning's
speakers. Virginia's candle symbolized taking light into the world.

Under Chris' guidance, they talked about people who have helped them on
their journey and where and when they "found their voice."

That evening they gathered for the third and final time. Chris returned the
personal symbols of their commitment, and they shared and prayed and wept
together.

^From the older visitor's viewpoint, what a privilege it would be to see
these daughters and sons of God in a decade, farther along in the faith
journeys that brought them together so briefly -- and so deeply.
# # #
*Lovelace is editor emeritus of the Dallas-based United Methodist Reporter
and a 1998 inductee in the United Methodist Association of Communicators
Hall of Fame.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org