From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Conference-planning review postponed after CMD committee raises

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 16 Nov 2000 06:06:28

Note #6270 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

objections
16-November-2000
00410

Conference-planning review postponed after CMD committee raises objections

Members defend planners' and participants' freedom of speech

by Alan Aja

SANTA FE, NM -- The Congregational Ministries Division Committee (CMDC) of
the General Assembly Council (GAC) has raised concerns about a proposal to
appoint a task force to review conference planning in the wake of
controversy surrounding last summer's Presbyterian Peacemaking Conference.

	During its meeting at Plaza Resolana Nov. 8-11, the committee unanimously
passed a statement expressing "trust and faith" in Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) conference planning and affirming "the right of all invited
conference speakers to voice their opinions in conference settings."
Afterward, the CMDC chair, the Rev. Lynn Shurley, of Paducah, KY, telephoned
GAC chair Peter Pizor, of Las Vegas, NV, to inform him of the committee's
action.

	The committee was responding to Pizor's plan to appoint a task force by the
end of the year to evaluate conference-planning procedures and recommend
changes. Pizor's proposal was prompted by numerous responses criticizing the
Rev. Dirk Ficca, a Presbyterian minister from Chicago who is executive
director of the Parliament of World Religions, who said in a keynote address
at the Peacemaking Conference that Jesus Christ might not be the only way to
salvation.

	Pizor's decision "raises several technical issues and is getting out of
hand," Shurley told the committee. "Those out there advocating advocacy
journalism now want the church to censor what is proclaimed or discussed at
a conference."

	Shurley said an exchange about the controversy had been unfolding on
PC(USA) online discussions.

	Atlanta Brown, of Wilmington, DE, a CMDC member, agreed with Shurley and
added: "This is infringing on freedom of speech. We shouldn't allow this to
happen." Another committee member, Melvin Lowry, of Augusta, GA, said:
"There's no need to add fuel to the fire. God's will will be done. Those who
put together the conferences will win in the end."

	In a subsequent letter to GAC members, Pizor announced that he would not
proceed until the full Council has an opportunity to discuss the matter
during its regular meeting in February. The letter, mailed on Nov. 13,
acknowledged that several GAC members had expressed concerns about the task
force to Pizor and to GAC Executive Director John Detterick.

	"I believe that moving ahead and establishing a task force at this time is
not helpful to our work together," Pizor wrote, adding that the GAC in
February will deal "with the many issues and concerns" generated by Ficca's
speech.	The CMDC reviewed but took no action on a report titled "A
Stewardship Theology," on the meaning of Christian stewardship and its
importance in the church. The report is the second draft of a document that
stemmed from suggestions made by the 1999 General Assembly.

	"I think this version makes sense and is well-articulated," said Mike
Gillespie, of Florence, KY. However, Freda Gardner, of Princeton, NJ, a
former General Assembly moderator, disagreed. "I still think it comes across
as if we are talking about money," she said. "As far as I can see, there is
no definition of stewardship."

	The committee expects to take final action on the report in February.

	Sheldon Sorge, a CMD associate for theology and worship, briefed the
committee on efforts to produce worship materials for Korean, Hispanic
(bilingual) and African-American congregations. "It is our hope that these
initiatives prove to be valuable enough to be implemented in the life of the
church," he said. "We have tried to be representative of the changing church
population."

	Sandra Sorem, associate director for Congregational Ministries Publishing,
reported enthusiasm for the denomination's new Covenant People curriculum.
However, she said current sales are about 30 percent below projections. She
said that problem is being addressed by a new marketing plan and an effort
to simplify the process of ordering the new curriculum.

	The committee unanimously reaffirmed its support for a denominational
curriculum in a statement that acknowledges CMDC's responsibility to educate
and to affirm diversity in the church. "The old ways have run away, and in a
changing scenario we are looking at new processes," said committee member
Donn Cobb, of Clovis, CA.

	The committee also approved a report on "Entrance into Pastoral Ministry,"
from the Office of Theological Education. The report addresses the timing
and nature of ordination exams; the advisability of revisiting earlier
proposals for a period of licensure after seminary graduation and before
ordination; providing better educational resources for those in the early
years in ministry; and cooperation between seminaries and presbyteries in
identifying candidates for ministry.

	The committee also approved an expenditure of $125,000 to re-establish the
Office of Family Ministries, which was eliminated for budget reasons in
1996.