From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Thanks, Pushes Congress for Food Stamp Legislation

From news@ELCA.ORG
Date 16 Nov 2000 15:56:20

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 16, 2000

ELCA THANKS, PUSHES CONGRESS FOR FOOD STAMP LEGISLATION
00-283-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- In October, Congress passed two provisions of
the Hunger Relief Act, letting states set their own limits on
vehicles owned by food-stamp recipients and raising a limit on the
cost of shelter for food-stamp recipients.  The Lutheran Office for
Governmental Affairs (LOGA), Washington, D.C., applauded that action
and asked that a third provision -- restoring food stamps for legal
immigrants -- be passed before the end of the year.
     LOGA is the federal public policy advocacy office of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
     Under current law, most food-stamp recipients can own a car
worth up to $4,650 -- a limit that has increased by only $150 since
1977.  "Low-income people often must choose between getting food
stamps or owning a reliable car to drive to work," said Kay A.
Bengston, assistant director for public policy advocacy, LOGA.
     The new provisions will allow states to set their own food-
stamp vehicle limit keeping it in line with the vehicle limit they
established for persons participating in the Temporary Assistance for
Needy Families program, said Bengston.  Many states exempt one
vehicle.
     Current law also puts a cap on housing costs in a way that
unfairly limits food-stamp benefits for families, especially those
with children, Bengston said.  The new provisions will raise that
maximum over five years, allowing an estimated 775,000 households to
receive modestly higher food-stamp benefits, she said.  There was no
shelter cap for persons who are elderly or persons with a disability.
     Congress adopted those provisions of the Hunger Relief Act as
part of the Agriculture Appropriations bill.  The legislation did not
restore food-stamp eligibility to otherwise qualified legal
immigrants -- a third provision of the Hunger Relief Act.
     "Low-income legal immigrants work hard and pay taxes alongside
U.S. citizens. They deserve our attention, especially when they are
struggling to meet such a basic need of food," said an Oct. 13 letter
to President Clinton from several religious leaders, including the
Rev. H. George Anderson, ELCA presiding bishop, Ralston H.
Deffenbaugh Jr., president of Lutheran Immigration and Refugee
Service, and Joanne Negstad, president of Lutheran Services in
America.
     "Mr. President, we need your leadership on this most vital
issue," the letter continued.  "When you signed the welfare bill, you
acknowledged that the cuts in benefits to legal immigrants were too
extreme.  Your budget this year does include funding for a partial
restoration.  Now is the time to right this wrong and ensure that
low- income legal immigrants who fall on hard times do not go
hungry."
     On Oct. 16 -- World Food Day -- Clinton said, "I urge Congress
to enact my budget proposal to help those here at home by ensuring
that legal immigrants have access to critical nutrition and health
assistance."
     In 1996, as part of welfare reform, Congress denied most legal
immigrants of food-stamp eligibility.  "Upon signing the welfare
reform law, I made a commitment to reverse unnecessary cuts in
benefits to legal immigrants that had nothing to do with the law's
goal of moving people from welfare to work," Clinton said.
     "In 1997 and 1998, I joined Congress in taking steps to restore
eligibility for many vulnerable immigrants," Clinton added. "Now it
is time to restore benefits to other legal immigrants who are working
hard and playing by the rules, but are in need of assistance."

For information contact: