From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist Jews And Palestinians United In

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 19 Nov 2000 09:56:25

Prayer Vigil

November 19, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD

Adventist Jews And Palestinians United In Prayer
Vigil

Jerusalem. Israel.        The president of the
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Israel, Pastor Richard
Elofer, has voiced his concern over the violence
currently taking place between the Jews and Palestinians
which has claimed lives on both sides, and which
threatens to destroy the peace efforts.

"We are very concerned with what is happening," says
Elofer.  "We want to see peace in this country and we
want the negotiation process to continue and result
in a satisfactory conclusion for all people."

The Seventh-day Adventist Church has been present in
Israel for over 70 years and consists of 17 congregations
with over 1,000 members. Church members, including Jews
and Palestinians, together with others of different
backgrounds, came together to pray last weekend over
the crisis.

"From Friday sunset until sunset on Monday we had a 24-hour
day prayer watch over the crisis which coincided with the
Jewish festival Yom Kippur, Day of Atonement - the time
when the Jews pray for forgiveness," reports Elofer.

"We prayed for peace in our country. We are not involved
in the political issues and activities but as a church we
are very much concerned that people live in peace,
reconciled and focussing on the values which the Bible
presents and whose principles we use as a base of our faith.
We pray for the protection of all people in Israel. We
cannot justify violence and conflict which is taking place
in our country.  We invite all of you, our friends, to
think about us and make time to pray for the people of
Israel," concludes Elofer.