From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventists Responds To Changes With Prayers

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 19 Nov 2000 09:56:34

For Peace

November 19, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD

Adventist Church Leader Responds To Changes With
Prayers For Peace And Prosperity

Belgrade, Yugoslavia.     A letter of congratulations
and support was sent to the newly-elected president of
the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, Dr Vojislav
Kostunica, following the dramatic people's revolution
of last weekend, by the president of the Seventh-day
Adventist in the South-East European region, Dr Radia
Antic.

"We wish to congratulate you on your appointment as
president of Yugoslavia and wish you God's blessings in
your new role, and blessings to all the citizens in
our country," writes Antic in his letter dated
October 10. "We want to assure you that the members of
the Seventh-day Adventist Church, according to the Bible,
will continue to pray for you and your government to be
successful in bringing peace and prosperity in our country
for all peoples."

Last week the world witnessed a change of the president
of Yugoslavia which brings with it major changes to the
country and the lives of its people.  "It had seemed that
before any significant changes took place in Yugoslavia,
war preceded it," says Miodrag Zivanovic, Communication
director of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Yugoslavia.

For the last nine years this was the pattern - such as in
Croatia, Bosnia and lately in Kosovo.  Many people have
been killed and hundreds of thousands have become refugees
from such conflicts.  People are exhausted and tired of
fighting. They want peace and freedom. Would this terrible
cycle repeat again?  Not this time. Instead, a miracle took
place last week," continues Zivanovic. "This massive shift
has happened almost completely peacefully.  We praise God
for this and pray that this peace will continue."

Church leaders of other denominations also reacted on
the change of the president.  Kostunica is a professed
Orthodox Christian who has quoted the Bible in calling for
peace. "He will be the country's first faithful Christian
president since the Second World War," says Orthodox Bishop
Sava of umadia.  Catholic Archbishop Franc Perko said
Kostunica will "establish relationships with other faiths"
and that "this new government does not persecute minority
faiths."

Commenting on the presidential change, Antic tells ANR how
the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Yugoslavia, with its
10,000 members, sees these changes.

"As disciples of Jesus Christ we respect any authority, any
government and we accept Dr Kostunica and his new government
as well," says Antic. "We believe that it is going to be for
the better.  We are happy to see that our new president is a
believer, with faith in God, and using the Bible as a base
for the values of democracy, freedom of choice and a right
to choose one's beliefs and philosophy of life."

"We pray that peace will take place in our country. The
country's economy is in a poor state - after almost ten years
of sanctions and isolation from the rest of the world. Our
church, through the Adventist Development and Relief Agency,
faced some real challenges in helping to provide necessities
such as food and clothing for the members and our neighbours
during these difficult years."

In conclusion, Antic requests ANR readership to pray
for the people of Yugoslavia: "We ask the members of the
Adventist Church around the world and people of good will
to pray for us - as you did during our troubled times -
that peace will prevail.  But also, we ask you to pray that the
people of Yugoslavia will experience a life-changing
revolution - a revolution that pours through a person's
life of accepting the love of Jesus Christ who is our
Saviour."