From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist Evangelist George E. Vandeman Dies

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 19 Nov 2000 09:59:46

November 19, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD

Internationally Known Adventist Evangelist George E.
Vandeman Dies

Thousand Oaks, California/USA.     George E. Vandeman
died on November 3 at his home in Newbury Park, California.
The renowned Seventh-day Adventist evangelist and author
was 84. Vandeman is perhaps best known as the founder
of the internationally broadcast television program
It Is Written.

Established in 1956 in California, It Is Written was
a pioneering force in the Adventist Church's use of
communication technology for evangelism. Today, the
award-winning show is broadcast in more than 150
countries around the world.

Vandeman was the presenter of It Is Written for more
than 35 years; since 1992 the half-hour weekly telecast
has been fronted by evangelist Mark Finley.

"George Vandeman was a visionary who often was far
ahead of his time," says Finley. "He had the unique
ability to see possibilities where others saw only
problems. George had the ability to communicate to
people at all levels, but he especially ministered to
people who were highly educated, affluent, and in the
upper echelons of society. He seemed to understand
ttheir heartaches, their longings, and their basic human
needs.

"To me he was more than a colleague but a close friend,
with timely spiritual advice and practical counsel on
how to guide It Is Written into the 21st century,"
he adds. "We at It Is Written will mourn his loss but
we praise God for his creative, visionary leadership
and the spiritual mold in which he cast the It Is
Written ministry."

Vandeman died "peacefully in his sleep" in the early
morning, says his daughter Connie Vandeman Jeffery.
He died of heart failure. Vandeman's family has
expressed its appreciation for the prayers and
support of their Adventist Church family, both locally
and around the world.

Vandeman is survived by his wife, Nellie, and four
children, George, Jr., Bob, Ron, and Connie Vandeman
Jeffery.