From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UN General Assembly President Urges Greater

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 19 Nov 2000 09:59:50

Involvement by "Civil Society"

November 19, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD

U. N. General Assembly President Urges Greater
Involvement by "Civil Society"

Vienna, Austria.      The President of the United
Nations General Assembly, Ambassador Harri Holkeri,
urged much greater involvement of non-government
organizations (NGOs) in U.N. affairs in a speech to
an international assembly in Vienna, Austria, on
November 6.

In his keynote address to the General Assembly of the
Conference of Non-Governmental Organizations in
Consultative Status with the U.N. (CONGO), Holkeri,
a former Prime Minister of Finland, pointed to the
long history of partnership between civil society
and the U.N. and the need to expand this.

"It is impossible to list all the areas where civil
society has played a crucial role," he said, "but I
would like to mention a few key sectors, such as
promoting peace and human rights, enhancing development,
fighting for democracy, and speaking out for gender
equality. All are areas of key concern to the United
Nations and member states. "

Attending the meeting on behalf of the Seventh-day
Adventist Church, Jonathan Gallagher, United Nations
liaison director, said that such comments are an
invitation to alert the U.N. to the many projects
carried out by the church and its agencies for
the betterment of humanity.

"So much of what Adventists do would be endorsed by
the U.N.," he commented. "Our practical involvement
in literacy and education projects, health instruction
and medical programs, development and relief aid, our
commitment to religious freedom and human rights-all
these reflect common goals we share. As a major
player in such areas we have a duty to contribute to
society beyond our own community, and in practical ways
demonstrate the values and beliefs we are committed to."

Holkeri closed with a commitment to make his ideas a
reality: "I pledge my co-operation with and support
for initiatives being developed by civil society that
are inclusive of all elements--NGOs, academics, religious
leaders and the business community; initiatives which are
regionally and gender balanced, and cover all levels
from the global to the grassroots."