From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commentary: Give thanks for political correctness

From NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG
Date 27 Nov 2000 12:38:42

Nov. 27, 2000 News media contact: Linda Green·(615)742-5470·Nashville, Tenn.
10-71B{532}

A UMNS Commentary
By the Rev. Mary John Dye*

I love November. This is the month when the culture is awash with reminders
of something very dear to my heart: reminders to be grateful for the
blessings of life. But there is one thing that all these reminders have left
out. I want to invite everyone to be thankful for political correctness.

I know people who think those two words "political correctness" are cuss
words. But "political correctness" has done something to make us aware of
our obligation to fairness and kindness that all our years of Christian
teaching have not.

A preacher lamented to me that all this political correctness had ruined his
repertoire of jokes. He said, "Used to be that you could tell those funny
housewife jokes about how dumb women can be. But you can't use them anymore
without getting in trouble. It's not politically correct." I say praise the
Lord.

And how many times has someone refrained from telling a racist joke because
it is not "politically correct?" Let's praise the Lord for each time!

And for every time that someone had to think twice about denying housing or
a job or a promotion to a minority person because it wasn't politically
correct? Praise the Lord.

And after centuries of abuse, even the Bible has benefited from political
correctness. Of course, some people still take isolated verses and misuse
them to gain or maintain positions of power. But somehow, political
correctness has been able to bring an interpretive conscience to stop, slow
down and challenge Bible abuse. And when the Bible is publicly misused,
people notice and speak up.

I know that political correctness has caused some genuine awkwardness and
self-consciousness among good-hearted, kind people. And I'm sorry about
that. But it seems to me that their discomfort is a small price to pray for
the benefits. When political correctness has helped make people think before
they are unkind in thought or words, when people have to think twice about
their derogatory stereotypes and unfair practices, when people of all ages,
races and levels of ability have more opportunity to be treated with respect
and dignity, when people don't let the abuse of the Bible go unchallenged, I
say praise the Lord! That's plenty of reason to add political correctness to
our thanksgiving.

If we had followed the golden rule out of a heart of obedience to Christ,
there would never have been a need for political correctness. This year,
instead of complaining about political correctness, I suggest we give thanks
for the way it has helped us be the people we already should have been.

# # #

*Dye is the pastor at Archdale (N.C.) United Methodist Church. This
commentary first appeared in the North Carolina Christian Advocate
newspaper.

Commentaries provided by United Methodist News Service do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of UMNS or the United Methodist Church.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org