From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Atlanta parish, standing committee reach compromise on blessings

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 27 Nov 2000 13:14:54

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-183

Atlanta parish, standing committee reach compromise on blessings

by Cary Patrick

     (ENS) The Standing Committee of the Diocese of Atlanta and St. Bartholomew's
Church agreed October 19 to have the northeast Atlanta parish celebrate a liturgy
of renewal of baptismal vows and a form of commitment to Christian service,
rather than a proposed same-gender blessing.

     The compromise came after the Standing Committee, in an October 10 letter,
directed the church's associate rector and priest-in-charge, the Rev. Marion
Kanour, to cancel plans for the blessing of a same-gender union. The reconfigured
service will be similar to one held during the term of the previous rector, done
with the approval of then-Bishop Frank Allan.

     The committee disagreed with the interpretation by the parish's clergy and
vestry that this year's General Convention, while stopping short of authorizing a
liturgy for same-gender blessings, had otherwise given a green light to such
blessings.

     Further discussions followed between the parish's clergy and the Standing
Committee, which led to the agreement. "This service, we believe, conforms to our
desire not to change established policy of the diocese and answers the General
Convention call for a pastoral response to the needs of our church's members,"
said the Rev. Richard Callaway, president of the Standing Committee.

     "Our decision was based on polity," Callaway continued. "Because the
Episcopal Church in the United States, through the voice of the General
Convention, has stopped short of authorizing the development of liturgies for
such unions, clergy are not empowered to perform such ceremonies."

     "The Standing Committee's agreement to permit some sort of liturgy for the
couple requesting the blessing of the Church is more pastorally responsive than
prohibiting any liturgy whatsoever," said Kanour. "I disagree, however, with the
Standing Committee's interpretation of what the General Convention resolution
prohibits. It seems to me that now is the time to move forward. I regret that the
Standing Committee and I differ in this matter; however, I'm grateful for their
willingness to continue the dialogue with me."

--Cary Patrick is Director of Communication for the Diocese of Atlanta.