From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Topic: Christians, Muslims Get Support from Egypt

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date 28 Nov 2000 08:19:31

Topic:  Christians, Muslims Get Support from Egypt

Contact:
Fr. Raed Awad Abussahlin
The Latin (Catholic) Patriarchate of Jerusalem
(972-2) 628-2323
Email: latinpat@actcom.co.il
Website: http://members.nbci.com/nonviolence/Raed/Olive/Branches.html

JERUSALEM,  November 26, 2000--Following is the text of a statement of
solidarity
received today by the Muslim and Christian communities here from their
counterparts in
Egypt:

"Declaration of the joint meeting of Muslim Imams
and Bishops and Clergy
of the different denominations of the churches in Egypt
who met 24th October 2000 in Al Azhar.
The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the sad situation
in Jerusalem and other parts of Palestine.

"November 2000

"Out of the common human values between Islam and Christianity which defend
human dignity and rights, Al Azhar and the Christian Churches in Egypt reject
the aggression of Israel on the Palestinians and their properties and the
unjust and murders of the innocent.

"We Muslim and Christian leaders reject and denounce the inhuman practices of
the
Israeli Army on Islamic and Christian Holy places in the Palestinian cities,
especially El Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.

"We, the Islamic and Christian leaders agreed unanimously that all the
Israeli aggressive practices against the Palestinians is against all human
rights, religions and all international laws.  We plead to all nations and
governments of the world and all international organizations to intervene
immediately to stop the Israeli wild attacks on Palestinians and to withdraw
from the occupied territories allowing the Palestinians to have their rights
in resisting Israeli occupation and establishing their independent country
with Jerusalem as its capital.

"We appeal to the leaders of the Arab and Islamic and all nations,
governments all over the world,  the leaders of the Churches and
international organizations that work in human relief to offer their urgent
humanitarian help and support to the Palestinians as they face all kinds of
humiliation and starvation by the Israeli Government."

Signed by:

Sheikh of Al Azhar, Dr. Said Tantawi,

Bishop Mouneer H. Anis of the Anglican Church in Egypt and North Africa,

Bishop Yohanna Kolta representing
Patriarch Estaphenous II of the Roman Catholic Church in Egypt,

Bishop Moses representing
Pope Shenouda III, the Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox Church in Egypt.

-End-