From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Conference helps burned United Methodist, Baptist churches

From NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG
Date 28 Nov 2000 13:48:58

Nov. 28, 2000  News media contact: Tim Tanton·(615)742-5470·Nashville, Tenn.
10-31-71B{534}

By Andy Ellis*

TITUS, Ala. (UMNS) -- Two local churches - one United Methodist and the
other Baptist -- are rising from the ashes, thanks in part to the
Alabama-West Florida Annual Conference.

On the night of June 6, fire swept through the fellowship hall at Providence
United Methodist Church near Titus, destroying the building and causing
extensive damage to the adjoining sanctuary. Within an hour of the
Providence blaze, a fire was reported at nearby Bethlehem Baptist Church.
Firefighters were unable to save the building.

State fire marshal investigators ruled that both fires were arson and turned
over information to the National Church Arson Task Force. To date, no
arrests have been made, and the investigation is continuing.

On Nov. 19, United Methodist Bishop Larry M. Goodpaster, who leads the
Alabama-West Florida Conference, presented pastors from the two churches
with checks totaling nearly $75,000 to assist with rebuilding efforts. The
presentations were made during a joint worship service conducted by the
predominantly white Providence and the predominantly black Bethlehem
congregations.

The money was raised through a special appeal made by then-Bishop William W.
Morris. Following the fires, Morris asked churches in the conference to
collect a special offering during the month of July to assist the two
churches in their rebuilding efforts. Response to the appeal was
overwhelming with donations continuing to be received through early
November. Roughly 80 percent of the donated funds went to Providence, with
the remainder going to Bethlehem.

"God is building from the ashes of these two churches," the Rev. Cliff Cobb,
pastor of Providence, told the 120 people gathered inside the Buyck
Volunteer Fire Department on the cool, rainy Sunday morning. Volunteers from
the department were among those who battled the church fires and were
thanked by members of both congregations during the service.

"We are going to rebuild and be a testimonial to the greatness of God," Cobb
continued.

The Rev. James Blackmon, pastor of Bethlehem Baptist, said he was grateful
for the Providence congregation and the many United Methodist churches that
had shown God's love through their gifts and prayers. Bethlehem has begun
rebuilding, while Providence expects to begin the process soon.

The spirit of the two congregations is a testimony to what can be
accomplished by trusting God, Blackmon said.

"There is nothing that comes our way that we can't handle with the help of
God. Everything that happens works to the glory of God, if we allow him to
work through us," he said.

Following a time of prayer, which saw the group join hands and gather near a
makeshift altar, Goodpaster affirmed the churches for their example.

"You have an important testimony," he said. "You are sending an important
message to those who keep struggling in a world when it looks like the other
side, the evil side, is winning. What you have said to the world is that
faith is not tied to a building, but rather to our relationship with God
through our savior Jesus Christ."

The bishop encouraged the two congregations to "hold fast, stand firm" and
not to give up. "There are people in this world so filled with anger and
frustration that they commit these unthinkable acts," he said. "But I
believe that the strongest force in the world is love. God's divine love
overcomes hatred and makes it possible for us to dwell in unity."

Members of both congregations agreed that the churches have developed a
special unity as a result of the fires.

"I thank God for the people of Providence and the people of Bethlehem. I
thank God for bringing us together in this difficult time," Cobb said.

James T. Austin, a Bethlehem deacon, called the relationship that has
developed between the two congregations "the way it's supposed to be."

"We are all supposed to be of one accord," Austin said. "I thank God for
Providence, and I'm thankful that they asked us to worship with them. When
God's people work together, great things happen."
# # #
*Ellis is director of communications for the Alabama-West Florida Annual
Conference.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org