From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church Women United to Honor Six Women for Human Rights Work

From wfn@wfn.org
Date 01 Dec 2000 11:32:47

News from Church Women United
475 Riverside Drive, Suite 500, New York, NY 10115
(212) 870-2344  Fax: (212) 870-2338
Contact: Mary Stamp - Program Manager for Communications -
mstamp@churchwomen.org
Elisabeth Young - Managing Editor for Publications - {HYPERLINK
mail to: eyoung@churchwomen.org} eyoung@churchwomen.org

For Immediate Release
December 1, 2000

Six women exemplify various facets of the struggle for human rights

NEW YORK (Dec. 1, 2000) - Out of its commitment to human
rights, Church Women United (CWU) will recognize six women
who exemplify diverse facets of that struggle at a Human Rights
Day Luncehon on Dec.9 at the United Nations in New York.

- Krishanti Dharmaraj of San Francisco empowers women to be
leaders for social and political change that moves women out of
survival existence. She is director and co-founder of the Women's
Instutute for Leadership Development for Human Rights.

- The late Ingrid Washinawatok El-Issa, who helped found Native
Americans in Philanthropy and the Native American Council in New
York City, lost her life in Colombia while there advocating for
indigenous education. She was a member of the Menominee
Reservation in Wisconsin.

- Anne Li applies her financial management skills to connect
economic justice and human rights tangibly by providing loans to
low-income individuals and organizations to build new businesses
and infrastructure in low-income communities. She is executive
director of the New Jersey Community Loan Fund.

- Barbara Smith of Albany, N.Y., has opened cultural and political
dialogue on race, class, sexuality and gender in her work as a
critic, teacher, activist, lecturer and publisher. She promotes black
women's studies and black feminism.

- Julia V. Taft of Washington, D.C., has worked through
governmental roles to address humanitarian relief and human rights
issues for refugees and immigrants. She is Assistant Secretary of
State for the Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration.

- Dorothy Wagner of Pasadena, Calif., nurtured global connections
among women to foster personal awareness of issues. As interim
general director of Church Women United in the 1980s, she
advocated for the freedom of South Korea's president Kim Dae
Jung, when he was a political prisoner.

These women will receive Human Rights Awards at CWU's second
annual Human Rights Luncheon from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday,
Dec. 9, at the U.N. Delegates Dining Room.

The luncheon also is an educational event on human rights issues
and recognizes 10 organizations funded by CWU grants to support
justice and human rights, said Kathleen Hurty, CWU's executive
director.

"CWU has been active with the United Nations since its founding
and worked to pass the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Global human rights is a consistent concern in our social justice
policies," she said. "We speak out both in commitment to our
global sisters and to challenge human rights abuses domestically,
working for  civil rights and an end to domestic violence. As we lift
up those concerns at the luncheon, we recommit to active, creative
and persistent efforts for human rights."

CWU president Jerrye Champion of Scottsdale, Ariz., said the
event "celebrates unity in the midst of our diversity as we work for a
world of peace and justice--especially for women, children and
families." The 2000 Awards, she added, honor women leaders who
"believe in the worth of all God's people and have courageously
worked to make an impact on human rights issues nationally and
globally."

As an ecumenical movement of 24 Protestant, Roman Catholic,
Orthodox and other Christian denominations, which represent 25
million women, Church Women United makes visible their
partnership. Foir information or for tickets, contact CWU at 475
Riverside Drive, Suite 500, New York, NY 10115, or call (800) 298-
5551.