From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Growing Together:" Adventist Church in Trans-European Region Votes

From BeckettJ@gc.adventist.org
Date 05 Dec 2000 15:26:34

Strategic Plan

ANN Bulletin
Adventist News Network
Seventh-day Adventist Church World Headquarters
December 5, 2000
----------------------
"Growing Together:" Adventist Church in Trans-European Region Votes
Strategic Plan
Rogaska Slatina, Slovenia ... [ANR/ANN]

Seventh-day Adventist Church leaders for the Trans-European region met
November 20 to 23 to discuss policy changes, process church business, and
engage in  strategic planning for the next five years.

Leaders voted to accept a strategic plan for the years 2001 to 2005 entitled
"Growing Together."  The plan encompasses the three focus points of the
world  church: growth through evangelism and witness; growth in quality of
life; and growth through unity.

"I am excited to work with dedicated leaders, pastors, and members across
the entire division to change the focus and way we do our work, so that we
allow  God to make things grow,"  said Dr. Bertil Wiklander, president of
the Adventist Church in the region.

Dr. Reinder Bruinsma, executive secretary of the Adventist Church in the
region, reported a net growth in church membership over the past year of 2
percent.   A study of membership reports over the past 10 years shows some
clear trends: limited but continuous growth in Britain; slight growth in the
Netherlands,  mainly due to immigration; slow but consistent erosion of
membership in Scandinavia; a declining growth rate in southeastern Europe;
and a significant growth in Israel and Pakistan and in parts of the
Middle-Eastern region (Sudan).

Peter Roennfeldt, Global Mission coordinator, reported plans for the
establishment of 300 news churches throughout the Trans-European region,
which includes  countries from the United Kingdom, to Sudan, to Finland.

Gerry Karst, a vice president of the Adventist Church worldwide, also
attended the meetings.  "During these year-end meetings, I have seen
effective  strategic planning, observed a spirit of cooperation and unity,
and listened to exciting reports of the growth of the church," he said.
"The future is in  good hands." [ANR Staff]
Contact Information:
Communications Department
General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
12501 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, MD 20904-6600

Phone: 301-680-6300
e-mail: info@gc.adventist.org