From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Peace for Bethlehem, all who suffer violence

From FRANKI@elca.org
Date 08 Dec 2000 08:32:47

2000 Christmas message from the LWF president

WOLFENBUETTEL, Germany/GENEVA, 8  December 2000 (LWI) - Bethlehem, the
little town where Jesus Christ was born, but now a place in the midst of
misery and violence, is where "our eyes are turned" during this Christmas
season, says the president of the Lutheran World Federation (LWF), Bishop
Dr. Christian Krause.

Krause in his 2000 Christmas message intercedes for all those who suffer
need and violence in many parts of the world including Bethlehem, and
invokes the hope of Christmas along on the journey into the New Year.

Below is the full text of the message from the LWF president:

Wolfenbuettel, in Advent 2000

Dear sisters and brothers around the world,

Once again, our eyes are turned to Bethlehem. The name of this little town
has become synonymous with the place of God's coming into the world. People
are journeying to this place, moved by their hope for a fulfilled life--the
shepherds in the fields, the wise men from the East, and now we ourselves,
from all parts of the world. At the center of attention is the manger with
the infant Jesus, whom all kneel down before in worship. The splendor of
divine revelation turns a shabby barn into a place of warmth and security.

Once again, we turn our eyes to Bethlehem. In newspapers and TV reports
these days, Bethlehem has become synonymous with a place of hatred and
violence, of anger and tears among the people. This is where God has set out
to go, this is where we do not know how to continue, where all hope is in
danger of being shattered. "For God so loved the world that he gave his only
Son" for our salvation and deliverance. (Jn. 3:16)

During this Christmas time, I would like you to again turn your eyes to
Bethlehem, the place where our Savior Jesus Christ was born. Only in this
place, in the immediate nearness of God, will the forces of peace and hope
grow - even in the midst of misery and violence.

Based on this confidence in God's mercy, let us celebrate Christmas Anno
Domini 2000 together. I remember with gratitude the great fellowship God has
given us with each other, also in our Lutheran World Federation. I intercede
for all those who suffer need and violence in many parts of the world. In
Bethlehem, too. Take the comfort and joy, the encouragement and hope of
Christmas along on the journey into the New Year: "To you is born this day
in the city of David a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord." (Lk. 2:11)

With greetings and blessings,

Yours sincerely,

Christian Krause,
President of the Lutheran World Federation

Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Brunswick

(The LWF is a global communion of 131 member churches in 72 countries
representing over 59 million of the world's 63 million Lutherans. Its
highest decision making body is the Assembly, normally held every six years.
Between Assemblies, the LWF is governed by a 49-member Council which meets
annually, and its Executive Committee. The LWF acts on behalf of its member
churches in areas of common interest such as ecumenical relations, theology,
humanitarian assistance, human rights, communication, and the various
aspects of mission and development work. Its secretariat is located in
Geneva, Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the information service of the Lutheran
World Federation (LWF). Unless specifically noted, material presented does
not represent positions or opinions of the LWF or of its various units.
Where the dateline of an article contains the notation (LWI), the material
may be freely reproduced with acknowledgment.]

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION
PO Box 2100, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Editor (English): Pauline Mumia
E-mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org
Tel: (41.22) 791.63.54
Fax: (41.22) 791.66.30