From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

At the Roots of Methodism: Weather mystified Wesley, too

From NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG
Date 13 Dec 2000 13:02:25

Dec. 13, 2000 News media contact: Tim Tanton·(615)742-5470·Nashville, Tenn.
10-71B{567}

NOTE: This is a regular feature on Methodist history by John Singleton
prepared especially for distribution by United Methodist News Service.

A UMNS Feature
By John Singleton*

Given John Wesley's curiosity for natural phenomena, I am sure he would have
been fascinated by the unusual weather patterns that have been affecting
England and other parts of Europe.

Torrential rains and high winds have caused a number of rivers to burst
their banks, resulting in widespread flooding and disruption of everyday
life in many communities. The ancient city of York, for example, was among a
number of historic cities and towns particularly hard hit. Huge tracts of
countryside have also been completely submerged.

Whereas once these weather extremes might have occurred every decade or so,
we are now told that we should expect them to become the norm and that we
have to adjust and learn to live with them.

The rainfall recorded in England during 2000 is said to be the highest since
weather records began in 1736 -- the same year, Methodists will be
interested to learn, that John Wesley encountered such appalling weather
conditions during his voyage to America.

"At noon our third storm began," he noted in his Journal on board the
"Simmonds" on Jan. 25. "At 4, it was more violent than before. Now, indeed,
we could say, 'the waves of the sea were mighty, and raged horribly.' They
rose up to the heavens above, and 'clave down to hell beneath.' The winds
roared round about us ... The ship not only rocked to and fro with the
utmost violence, but shook and jarred with so unequal, grating a motion,
that one could not but with great difficulty keep one's hold of anything,
nor stand a moment without it. Every 10 minutes came a shock against the
stern or side of the ship, which one would think should dash the planks in
pieces."

It was in the midst of this ferocious storm that Wesley admitted to being
"much ashamed of my unwillingness to die," but also became tremendously
impressed by the calm behavior of the 26 German Moravians who were among his
fellow passengers. At the height of the storm, they calmly continued in
prayer and praise to God (unlike their "crying, trembling neighbors," as
Wesley described them).

John Wesley's encounters with the power of nature invariably led him to
reflect in awe upon the judgment and the might of God, a response surely not
too far removed from contemporary Christian reflection on today's climate
changes. For it is possible to reflect upon global warming as a "judgment"
on humankind for the way we have hitherto treated the earth. And, in
particular, for the inability of the industrialized countries to agree on a
curtailment of carbon monoxide emissions.

In 1755, Wesley went out of his way to inspect the results of an earthquake
centered on a fairly remote area of North Yorkshire, England. Travelers had
observed the ground to "shake exceedingly" and huge rocks to rise out of the
earth. Other rocks along the peak of a nearby mountainous ridge had split in
pieces and were thrown violently in all directions. This was accompanied by
a roaring sound like "many cannons, or loud rolling thunder," he wrote.

When Wesley arrived at the scene, he noted that whole sections of the ridge
had been removed and deposited whole elsewhere "without the least fissure."
A variety of stones and huge rocks lay all around, maybe over an area of 60
acres. "Between these the ground was cleft asunder in a thousand places," he
wrote. "That part of the cliff from which the rest is torn lies so high and
is now of so bright a color, that it is plainly visible to all the country
around ..."

So what conclusions did Wesley draw from all this? "There remains no other
natural cause assignable, but imprisoned air," he wrote. And although Wesley
was not entirely convinced about this "fashionable opinion," he seems to
have given this theory the benefit of the doubt.

The fact that the earthquake occurred not far from Hamilton Racecourse --
then a fashionable assembling place for the rich and famous of the gambling
fraternity -- did somewhat color his theological conclusions.

"What then could be the cause?" he wrote. "What, indeed, but God, who arose
to shake terribly the earth; who purposely chose such a place, where there
is so great a concourse of nobility and gentry every year; and wrought in
such a manner, that many might see it and fear; that all who travel one of
the most frequented roads in England might see it, almost whether they would
or no, for many miles together.

"It must likewise for many years, maugre all the art of man, be a visible
monument of God's power; all that ground being now so encumbered with rocks
and stones that it cannot be either ploughed or grazed. Nor will it serve
any use, but to tell all that see it, 'Who can stand before this great God
... ?'"

John Wesley was a man of his times. The Bible was very much his language,
and he brought a biblical perspective to every situation he encountered. But
he combined this with an inquiring mind that tried to understand what was
going on and why it was happening. Maybe, in our time, as we experience the
unusual powers of nature in many parts of our world, we can learn from
Wesley's perspective of God's judgment as we try to come to terms with
contemporary environmental challenges.

# # #

*Singleton is assistant editor of the weekly Methodist Recorder newspaper in
London. He can be contacted by e-mail at: John.s@methodistrecorder.co.uk.
The Recorder's Web site is at www.methodistrecorder.co.uk.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at: