From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

North American Anglican conservatives pursue 'kingdom norms' for mission

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 20 Dec 2000 10:08:12

For more information contact:
Jan Nunley
Deputy Director
jnunley@dfms.org
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-222

North American Anglican conservatives pursue 'kingdom norms' for mission

by Jan Nunley

     (ENS) Conservative and traditionalist North American Anglican leaders agreed
to what they termed "Kingdom Norms" for relationship and cooperation at a summit
held in Atlanta November 27-29.

     The group of about 50 participants included representatives from two of the
"continuing Anglican" churches, the Reformed Episcopal Church, Canada's Anglican
Essentials movement, and the Anglican Mission in America (AMiA), as well as
parishes and groups within the U.S. Episcopal Church. The meeting was coordinated
by the American Anglican Council and the renewal group ACTS 29.

     "Our common allegiance is to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and to the
historic Catholic faith and morals," the Kingdom Norms agreement begins, calling
for commitment to "unity among orthodox Anglicans" despite differences regarding
the Book of Common Prayer and the ordination of women. The document also commits
participants to work together to develop mission strategies and challenge what
they called "false teaching."

     "Women's ordination, Prayer Book, Anglo-Catholic versus Evangelical are
certainly issues that the orthodox continue to differ over," said Bruce Mason of
the American Anglican Council. "However, there is actually a sense now among many
orthodox that these issues can to some degree be worked around for the sake of
pursuing common mission.

     "There are also significant differences between the faith traditions of the
continuing churches, the Reformed Episcopal Church, and those in the Episcopal
Church," Mason added. "Probably our biggest struggle, however, was over the
vastly different strategies of those who are committed to remaining in ECUSA and
those who are in the process of leaving."

     "We came to the summit with many hopes, but without a clear expectation of
what might result," said Bishop Ray Sutton of the Reformed Episcopal Church, dean
of Cranmer Theological House in Shreveport, Louisiana.  "It is now clear that we
have a difficult road ahead as we seek to work through our many differences.  But
the Holy Spirit has challenged us to deal forthrightly about our disagreements
and to begin to think differently about the future of American Anglicanism."

      The group discussed holding an Anglican Essentials Congress in the U.S. at
some future date.

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of  the Episcopal Church's Office of News
and Information.