From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterians share bounty with drought-struck ranchers in Nebraska

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 20 Dec 2000 12:27:49

Note #6316 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

20-December-2000
00461

Pastors of plenty

Presbyterians share bounty with drought-struck ranchers in Nebraska

by John Filiatreau

	Farmers in Pennsylvania had too much hay. Cattle ranchers in Nebraska had
too little.

	A group of baleful Presbyterians put too and too together and organized an
emergency "hay-lift" to the drought-seared West.

	Although the unusual mission project was a collaboration between Carlisle
Presbytery in central Pennsylvania and the Presbytery of Central Nebraska,
it wasn't just for members of the Presbyterian Church (USA). It provided
fodder equally for drought-stressed cattle of all denominations.

	HAY-LIFT 2000 was a brainstorm of the Rev. Douglas Kelley, of the Upper
Path Valley Presbyterian Church in Spring Run, PA, who had read that a
three-year-long drought was burning up crops and stressing cattle in
Nebraska. In many parts of the state, this year's crop yields were down to
less than one-third of normal.

	In July, volunteers from Kelley's congregation built a parade float
depicting Pennsylvania's fat cows and abundance of hay and the dry grass and
emaciated, hungry looking cattle of Nebraska. The float won a blue ribbon,
and the winnings got the HAY-LIFT 2000 fund-raising drive off to a flying
start. In addition to the hay, Pennsylvania Presbyterians contributed more
than $7,500 in cash to help pay for transportation.

	HAY-LIFT originally sought donations of baled hay from farmers in three
counties, but news of the drive blazed through central Pennsylvania like
wildfire, and before long the relief effort included seven counties. By
October, Kelley had presented the HAY-LIFT 2000 idea to the Central Nebraska
Presbytery in Kearney, and the presbytery had named staff member Kyla Martin
to coordinate the program at the receiving end.

	HAY-LIFT got $30,000 in financial help from Presbyterian Disaster
Assistance (PDA).

	Stan Hankins, the PC(USA)'s associate for U.S. disaster response, said this
project was particularly intriguing because it was "one presbytery assisting
another."

	"This was a way to celebrate the connectional nature of the Presbyterian
church," Hankins said. "We've been involved in a number of other hay-lift
situations in the past -- usually with other denominations through Church
World Service. We were happy to help further this ministry to farmers in
need."

	With hay donations mounting and funding support in place, the organizers'
next challenge was getting the hay to where it was needed. That task was
taken on by Hunt Transportation of Omaha and Sunrise Express of Grand
Island, at discounted rates.

	The stewardship and mission committees of the Central Nebraska presbytery
sought out needy farmers in eight Nebraska counties and recruited local
pastors to help Martin decide how to allocate the hay.

	The relief was targeted to small cattle ranchers with herds of 40 to 300
head of cattle, many of whom couldn't afford to buy much hay at $80 to $100
a ton. Many had already been forced to sell some of their stock.

	The first shipment left Pennsylvania early last month and reached Nebraska
before Thanksgiving.

	"Deciding who should receive the gifts of hay was probably the hardest
task," Martin said. "We'd like to be able to help everyone who registered."

	Recipients were chosen randomly from the farmers who registered.

	Small square bales loaded by school kids in Pennsylvania were unloaded by
inmates of the Youth Rehabilitation and Treatment Center in Kearney.

	Wherever hay was delivered, the cattle ranchers and workers shared a
thanksgiving meal.

	"It's been people helping people," said Kelley, who fell out of a truck
while loading hay and broke an ankle. "If Presbytery of Central Nebraska can
find the funding to get more hay shipped to them, I'll find more donators."

	Seth Fry, a Pennsylvania turkey farmer, sent eight semi-loads of hay to
Nebraska and planned to send eight more after Thanksgiving.

	Farmer Brad Sutherland of Elm Creek, NE, had enough hay to last through the
winter until an October fire destroyed all he had. "When Ms. Martin called
to tell me I was going to receive some of the donated hay, I was
overwhelmed," he said. "I don't know how to properly express my gratitude.
.. When you are really down, you find out there's more good people in the
world than bad."

	The beneficiaries included one farmer in Custer County who had lost
everything he owned in a tornado on Halloween. All his hay that wasn't blown
away was left full of wood and glass fragments.

	So far HAY-LIFT 2000 has helped more than 75 small-herd ranchers in
Nebraska. Organizers hope to keep it going through the winter. Martin is
seeking grants from InnerChurch Ministries, Farm Aid and PDA to pay for more
shipments.

	Anyone who wants to contribute money for HAY-LIFT should make checks
payable to the PC(USA) and reference the U.S. disaster-assistance account
number: 9-2000015.