From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples Publishing announces retail sales alliance,

From wshuffit@oc.disciples.org
Date 22 Dec 2000 11:42:15

focuses on proprietary content
>From nobody@wfn.org  Fri Dec 22 00:00:00 2000
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Date: December 22, 2000
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org
E-mail: CWillis@oc.disciples.org

Contact person: Pamela B. Brown, Vice President of marketing,
Christian Board of Publication, St. Louis

00a-76

	ST. LOUIS, MO -- Christian Board of Publication, a Saint Louis-based unit
of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) announced today a strategic
alliance with Cokesbury, the retail services arm of The United Methodist
Publishing House in Nashville, Tenn.

	Beginning in February 2001, Cokesbury will work in partnership with CBP to
provide retail sales services to individuals, congregations, and regions in
the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). CBP will streamline its
operations to focus on developing and publishing proprietary content such
as books, teaching resources, program materials and the churchwide
magazine, The Disciple.

	The move will strengthen CBP's ability to pursue its mission, according to
President and Publisher Cyrus N. White. "While retail sales were showing
gains, the cost to support those sales was increasing at a faster rate,"
White said.

	"It makes much better sense missionally and financially to work with an
ecumenical partner on services we provide in common to congregations. Our
alliance with Cokesbury means we can focus intently on publishing resources
that help to draw people closer to God through Jesus Christ. Our
constituents may order our resources and other supplies they need through
Cokesbury - an experienced supplier they already know and trust and that
will work in partnership with us to continue providing excellent service.
In January, we will work closely with our congregations, regions, and
outside partners to make a smooth transition,"  White said.

	Christian Board of Publication will continue to conduct trade sales for
its books imprint Chalice Press, and eventually for Living Bread Press, a
new imprint of the publishing house producing congregational teaching
resources. The house will continue sales of Chalice Hymnal, curriculum and
program resources - such as Christian Women's Fellowship materials -
directly to congregations and individuals.

	Due to the cessation of CBP's retail sales operations, a number of
positions at CBP will not continue. The publishing house's staff size will
be reduced between now and February 16 from 60 positions to 36 positions.
"The most difficult part of the decision, of course, is the impact it has
on our employees whose work related to retail sales functions.  These folks
have worked hard to make a go of CBP's retail services.  What growth we
have seen in that area gives testament to their abilities and diligence,"
White said.

	The house will provide severance packages, which include re-employment
assistance for those released from service.  "I am grateful to everyone who
has offered a great deal of energy and  hard work to the mission and
ministry of CBP. We invite the whole church to lift the entire staff of CBP
in prayer through this transition, " said the CBP president.

	Christian Board of Publication is a general unit of the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ).  It provides resources that help congregations bring
the unchurched to awareness, seekers to belief, and believers to deeper
love and commitment to God through Jesus Christ.

	 -- end --