From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

German Pax Christi Message Reaches Israel and Palestine

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date 27 Dec 2000 19:56:04

Contact: Pax Christi, Deutsche Sektion
Postfach 13 45
61103 Bad Vilbel
sekretariat@paxchristi.de

or

Fr. Raed Awad Abussahlin
The Latin (Catholic) Patriarchate of Jerusalem
(972-2) 628-2323
Email: latinpat@actcom.co.il
Website: http://members.nbci.com/nonviolence/Raed/Olive/Branches.html

JERUSALEM, December 27, 2000--The German section of the Catholic peace
movment,  Pax Christi,  has transmitted a declaration to Israelis and
Palestinians calling on both to seek non-violent approaches to their struggle
for justice and security.
    The Assembly of the group said that the current strife in the Holy Land
is "an expression of powerlessness and despair."  The Assembly specifically
called upon the Palestinian National Authority to  "promote non-violent forms
of protest and  to contribute to a new spirit of dialogue."
    It also called upon Israeli authorities to "to stop the violence
perpetrated by Israeli military, " and "to withdraw from those territories
which, in violation of international laws and relevant UN-resolutions, have
been occupied since 1967."
    The text of the declaration is as follows:

Overcoming the Violence of Despair

A Declaration by Pax Christi, German Section,
as concluded at the Delegates' Convention, Burg Rothenfels, Germany.

Five years after the signing of the "Oslo-II" accords and the assassination
of Israeli Prime Minister Yitzak Rabin, the Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process
is on the verge of perishing in violence, despair and new hatred.

In the light of the contacts we have had with friends on both sides for
years, we are horrified about the recent outbreaks of violence, causing the
death of more than 240 persons, mostly Palestinians and to a large extend
young people, sometimes even children, acts of lynching on both sides,
numerous violent attacks on Palestinians perpetrated by Israeli settlers and
air-raids on Palestinian cities.  We consider this violence as a result of a
policy in which the opportunity for peace was not taken resolutely and
courageously.

Despite the existence of a proper civil administration in towns of partial
Palestinian autonomy, the segmentation into A-, B-,  and C-Zones allows
neither economic growth nor the development of a social infrastructure in the
Palestinian Territories.

The recent clashes in the West Bank and Gaza, provoked by the visit of the
Israeli conservative nationalist politician Ariel Sharon to Haram al-Sharif
(the Temple Mount), are to be seen as an expression of powerlessness and
despair.

During the Peace Process, the confiscation of land, the destruction of houses
and olive groves, the expansion of Israeli settlements and bypass-roads and
the blocking of whole neigbourhoods have continued, all contradicting the
already agreed on peace treaties.

International contacts are for Palestinians possible only via Israel.
Palestinian residents of Jerusalem have been dislocated.  While Jews from all
over the world can immigrate into Israel, Palestinians dislocated from their
land are denied their right of return.

For the Palestinians, as being one of two unequal partners, the Peace Process
has increasingly become a continuation of lasting humiliation, without
prospects of a decent life.  Palestinians are still  not protected from the
violence perpetrated by heavily armed Israeli settlers attacking their
villages.

In the recent military actions taken by the Israeli army, Palestinians were
hit by carefully aimed shots.  These acts can hardly be qualified as
life-saving actions but as  massive violations of the human rights laws and
infractions of the Fourth Geneva Convention.  According to Amnesty
International, the Israeli military can be regarded as the committing of war
crimes.

What peace requires is more than a joint Israeli-Palestinian cooperation of
military and intelligence services.   Peace requires mutual respect and
recognition of the other as an equal partner in peace and a common vision of
dignity, justice, well-being, security, political sovereignty and economic
growth.   The two peoples on this tiny land are bound to share one common
future.

We support the efforts made by Israeli, Palestinian and also joint
Israeli-Palestinian Non-Governmental Organizations working for peace and
human rights and declare our solidarity with them.

We appeal to the government of the State of Israel, as the dominant
participant in the the Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process in terms of
political means, military equipment and economic growth, to stop the violence
perpetrated by Israeli military, to withdraw from those territories which, in
violation of international laws and relevant UN-resolutions, have been
occupied since 1967 and  to further the formation of a Palestinian State with
East-Jerusalem as its capital.

We appeal to the Palestinian National Authority to promote non-violent forms
of protest and  to contribute to a new spirit of dialogue. We also demand the
PNA to respect human rights and to further the democratization of Palestinian
society.

We appeal to the government of the Federal Republic of Germany and the
European Union to take our demands into consideration and to encourage the
participants in the Peace Process accordingly.   We also appeal to the German
government and the EU to stop the arms trade and to support the establishment
of International Peacekeeping Forces maintained by the United Nations
Security Council in the Occupied Territories.   The mediation of the conflict
can not be handled alone by a political power which itself is biased, such as
the USA.

In accordance with Patriarch Michel Sabbah of Jerusalem, president of Pax
Christi International, we trust  that the Palestinian people "will have life
and freedom, sooner or later. We hope it will be sooner than later. Because
violence cannot be the guide of life in this Holy Land. Justice is the only
guide and symbol."

-End-