From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Third Christian Leader Complains of Treatment by Israelis

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date 23 Jan 2001 19:56:24

Contact:  George Awad,
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jerusalem
Telephone: (972-2) 627-6111
Email: ga_elcj@netvision.il
Website: www.HolyLand-Lutherans.org

JERUSALEM, January 23, 2001---For the third time this month, a Christian
church leader has complained about humiliating treatment by Israeli officials.

Lutheran Bishop Munib Younan, head of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of
Jerusalem, has written to Prime Minister Ehud Barak to protest the "bad
treatment" he received at Israel's Ben Gurion Airport.

In the letter to the Prime Minister, Bishop Younan told of being "checked in
a humiliating way" despite VIP credentials that had been issued by the State
of Israel.

Earlier this month, the Latin (Roman) Catholic Patriarchal Vicar of Nazareth
received official apologies after he complained that the car he was
travelling in was halted and fired upon by Israeli soldiers.  Bishop Boulos
Marcuzzo also wrote a letter of complaint to the Prime Minister.  (See
releases dated January 10, 2001.)

In an open letter to (then) U.S. President Bill Clinton, a prominent Lutheran
pastor from Bethlehem described how he was shuffled back and forth and
eventually refused permission to travel to the United States for a speaking
engagement.  The Rev. Mitri Raheb is also director of the International
Center of Bethlehem.   (See release dated January 5, 2001.)

The full text of Bishop Younan's letter to Prime Minister Barak follows:

"Jerusalem on January 22nd 2001

"Honorable Ehud Barak
Prime Minister
Prime Minister’s Office
Jerusalem

Dear Mr. Barak,

Salaam and greetings from our Lutheran Church.

On January 11th, 2001 when I was at Ben Gurion Airport on my way
to the Norway, I was treated in a humiliating way by security personal of the
Airport.  [This happened even] though I showed them my VIP-card, issued by
the State of Israel, and the letter of recommendation issued by Dr. Nissim
Dana from the Ministry of Religious Affairs – Department for the Christian
Communities (copies attached)!  Nevertheless I was ordered to be checked in a
humiliating way.

This is not the first time I was maltreated at Ben Gurion Airport. Letters of
 protest were previously sent to Ministry of Religious Affairs – Department
for Christian Communities and to the acting Minister of Religious Affairs
himself (copies attached) but to no avail.

I do strongly protest against this treatment. I do hope that such
malpractices would stop forever, and that church leaders would be finally
treated with some respect and dignity, a self-evident treatment for any human
being.

With all my prayers for a just, comprehensive and durable peace for all of
us, Israelis and Palestinians, I remain.

Yours sincerely,

Bishop Munib Younan
The Lutheran Bishop in Jerusalem

Head of the Evangelical Lutheran Church – Jerusalem

Cc: The Rt. Bishop Christian Krause, President –Lutheran World Relief, Geneva

The Very Rev. Dr. Ishmael Noko, General Secretary – Lutheran World
Federation, Geneva

The Heads of Christian Communities in Jerusalem

Mr. Yossi Beilin, Acting Minister of Religious Affairs

Dr. Nissim Dana, Director, Ministry of Religious Affairs, Department of
Christian Communities.

-End-