From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal News Service Briefs

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 26 Jan 2001 08:44:24

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-238

News Briefs

Bishop Ndungane calls for reconciliation

     (ENS) South African bishop Njongonkulu Ndungane launched a national anti-
racism forum in Cape Town on December 16, calling for reconciliation among all
race groups in the country.

     "Racism is so entrenched in our national psyche that we need to take
constructive steps to achieve normality. This involves education, firm
commitment, research and recognition of the many cultures and languages that make
us such a dynamic nation," Ndungane said. "We owe it to ourselves and our
children to make a difference and it is time for all of us to act."

     The forum was established by the South African coalition SANGOCO and the
"Home for All Campaign," which calls on white South Africans to get actively
involved in the reconstruction and development process, reconciling race groups
divided by apartheid.

     Ndungane said that the positive approach adopted by those ready to
acknowledge the economic, cultural and psychological damage inflicted by
apartheid was heartening. "Even more so is their acceptance that many whites had
actively and passively supported that (racist) system and that the damage has not
been overcome," he said.

     But not all white South Africans agreed. F.W. de Klerk, the former president
of South Africa who released Nelson Mandela before stepping down in 1994, said
the declaration fails to "capture the full complexity of the circumstances in
which we found ourselves. Instead, it represents an over-simplistic analysis
which seeks to divide complex human interactions simply into good and evil." And
National Party leader Marthinus van Schalkwyk said it would create a nation of
"hand wringing apologists."

     The declaration reads, in part: "We acknowledge that apartheid inflicted
massive social, economic, cultural and psychological damage on black South
Africans…We acknowledge our debt to fellow black South Africans since all whites
benefited from systematic racial discrimination…We pledge to use our skills,
resources and energy, through individual and collective action, to empower
disadvantaged people, eliminate racism and promote a non-racial society whose
resources are used to the benefit of all its people…"

Doctor of Ministry program begins its 27th year

     (ENS) The Doctor of Ministry program of the University of the South begins
its 27th year this summer.

     The program is one of the few in the U.S. which, operates only during the
summer months, so that clergy can participate without major interruptions to
their parish responsibilities. It also affords an opportunity for students to
study in an Episcopal seminary in a university setting.

     The program stresses the relationship between the practice of ministry, and
biblical, historical, and theological knowledge. A Master of Sacred Theology
program, focusing on research skills, is also available. Both programs usually
take three or four summers to complete.

     Courses offered this summer include Models of Liturgical Theology; Ministry
Seminar; Biblical Authority and Preaching the Word; Ministry with the Dying and
Bereaved: Ritual and Pastoral Care at the End of Life and In the Beginning was
the Story: Character and Ethics in Genesis and the Gospel of Mark.

     For further information, contact Don S. Armentrout, Advanced Degrees
Program, School of Theology, 335 Tennessee Avenue, Sewanee, TN 37383-0001, or
call 800/722-1974.