From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: CARTER TO BLACK CHURCH ED. POST

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date 08 Feb 2001 09:44:50

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

CARTER NAMED TO EDUCATIONAL MINISTRIES'
BLACK CHURCH EDUCATION POSITION
by Virginia R. Holmstrom, American Baptist Educational Ministries
 The Rev. Yvonne B. Carter of Cleveland Heights,
Ohio, has been named to American Baptist Educational
Ministries' Partners in Discipleship Ministries program staff
team.  Carter, who begins her new assignment Feb. 26,
will lead the team in developing goals and strategies for
the support of Christian education in Black churches.
 Carter will manage the implementation of
strategies in Black church education and produce relevant
resources.  She also will work with the Partners in
Discipleship Ministries team in areas of discipleship,
leadership and congregational transformation.
 Carter brings over 20 years of experience in
church leadership and administration.  Since 1997 she has
served as executive director of The Youth Empowerment
Project, a youth-at-risk intervention ministry of the
Cleveland Baptist Association and a Neighborhood Action
Christian Center related to American Baptist National
Ministries.  She oversaw its incorporation to a separate
entity with 501 (C) status.  Previously Carter worked in
management with United Way Services in Cleveland and
directed evangelism and discipleship at Grace Tabernacle,
an American Baptist congregation in Cleveland.
 A graduate of Youngstown State University, Carter
earned an M.A. degree in Christian education from
Ashland Theological Seminary, Ashland, Ohio, and is
pursuing an M.Div. degree there.
 The Rev. Jeffrey D. Jones, program staff team
leader, announced the appointment and noted that Carter
will continue to reside in Cleveland Heights: "The decision
for Yvonne to be based in northern Ohio supports the
increasing efforts in Educational Ministries to relate more
closely with regions and local churches.  We realize that
we can be most effective if we are closely connected to
regions and local congregations.  This is a concrete
expression of that belief, underscoring the importance we
place on building partnerships for the support of
discipleship."
 Jones cited similar staffing placements such as
John Houlker, based in Connecticut to provide support to
the five regions in New England, and Educational
Ministries' partnership with the West Virginia Baptist
Convention to share Rebecca Crouch's Christian education
staff expertise.
 "We are deeply impressed by Yvonne's
experience, skills and spirit," said Jones.  "She will
be an important addition to our staff team as we
continue to partner with regions and congregations
to support disciples who are growing in relationship
with Christ, in giftedness and in service through
God's mission in the world."

WFN0208A
 -0-