From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Safe-Haven Resource Now Available in Spanish

From news@ELCA.ORG
Date 22 Feb 2001 12:28:14

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 22, 2001

ELCA SAFE-HAVEN RESOURCE NOW AVAILABLE IN SPANISH
01-035-MR/BM**

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- About 350 Spanish-speaking congregations and
social ministry organizations of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) will receive the Spanish text version of "Safe Haven for
Children: Hope for Congregations and Communities" this year.
     "Safe Haven for Children: Hope for Congregations and Communities"
is a resource designed to help congregations become safe places for
children.  It contains information about children living in poverty,
advocacy, child care protection policies for a parish, Bible study and
devotional materials, and a guide for initiating a safe-haven campaign.
     Production of the resource was a final goal for team members of
the ELCA's Help the Children Initiative, one of seven "Initiatives for a
New Century" identified by the 1997 ELCA Churchwide Assembly.  The
church's work on the initiatives will come to a close at the 2001 ELCA
Churchwide Assembly, Aug. 8-14 in Indianapolis.
     Citing the need to focus on children, the Rev. H. George Anderson,
presiding bishop of the ELCA, said, "The social upheavals of our time
and the growing gap between the rich and poor have been especially
damaging to the lives of children and families.  We must ensure that the
youngest and most vulnerable members of our world have a future."
     "Safe Haven for Children: Hope for Congregations and Communities"
is available through Augsburg Fortress, Minneapolis, the publishing
house of the ELCA.
     [**Barbara A. Myers is director for communication for the ELCA
Lower Susquehanna Synod, Harrisburg, Pa.]

For information contact: