From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: TORRES NAMED TO RTCA POST

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date 28 Feb 2001 07:18:57

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

TORRES NAMED EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF RACE
TRACK CHAPLAINCY OF AMERICA
 Dr. Enrique Torres, American Baptist educator and
former director of Evangelistic Strategies for ABC National
Ministries, has been named executive director of the Race
Track Chaplaincy of America.
 Torres was appointed executive director at RTCA's
annual meeting last month in Arcadia, Calif.  He worked
last summer as an RTCA associate field director, visiting
chaplains, backstretch workers and track executives at 10
racetracks.  "When I saw the holistic ministry that was
being performed at the tracks it touched my heart and I
realized it would take a team effort to fill the needs," he
noted.
 Torres presently is an adjunct professor at Fuller
Theological Seminary, Pasadena, Calif.; New York
Evangelical Seminary, New York City; and Andover Newton
Theological School, Newton Centre, Mass.
 RTCA, founded by the (then) American Baptist
Convention and the Southern Baptist Convention, has
served for 30 years as a means of providing for the
spiritual, emotional and material needs of track workers.
Currently 35 RTCA chaplains serve at 55 tracks throughout
the U.S.
 Torres said he plans to institute an education
program focused on equipping chaplains in such areas as
substance abuse, marital and grief issues, and crisis
intervention.  "The racing industry is demanding more
from our chaplains and it's up to us to help them get the
best education possible," he said.
 American Baptists who have served as race track
chaplains over the years have been eligible for
commissioning as American Baptist home missionaries.
 The American Baptist representative to the Race Track
Chaplaincy Board is the Rev. Dr. Jeffrey Johnson, National
Ministries' director of evangelism.

WFN0228A
 -0-