From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishops Respond to Human Sexuality Decisions, Hold Retreat

From news@ELCA.ORG
Date 09 Mar 2001 08:54:45

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 9, 2001

ELCA BISHOPS RESPOND TO HUMAN SEXUALITY DECISIONS, HOLD RETREAT
01-50-JB

     SAN ANTONIO (ELCA) -- In a response to actions of the Church
Council of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), the
ELCA Conference of the Bishops agreed with council decisions related
to human sexuality.  Specifically, the bishops affirmed a decision
not to initiate a study on the ordination of non-celibate gay and
lesbian people and supported an action to decline to develop a study
process regarding exceptions to the church's standards for ordained
ministry.
     In its response to the council's actions, the bishops also
expressed hope for continuing "thoughtful, deliberate and prayerful
conversation" throughout the church on human sexuality issues.
     "As we support, encourage and participate in the process of
discussion on discernment about issues of human sexuality, we trust
in the presence and power of God's Holy Spirit to guide us," the
resolution said.
     The Conference of Bishops is an advisory body of the ELCA's 65
synod bishops, presiding bishop and secretary.  The conference met
here March 1-6.  The Church Council is the board of directors of the
church, and functions as its interim legislative authority between
churchwide assemblies.
     The resolution, drafted and presented by the bishops'
Theological and Ethical Concerns Committee, responded to actions the
Church Council took in 2000.  In April the council declined to
initiate a study on the ordination of non-celibate gay and lesbian
people, a request referred to the Church Council from the 1999
Churchwide Assembly.
     In November, the council rejected a proposal that would allow
for possible exceptions to its statement of standards for ordained
ministers.  The idea originated from St. Paul-Reformation Lutheran
Church, St. Paul, Minn., and was directed to the ELCA Church Council
through the ELCA Saint Paul Area Synod Council.
     Some bishops sought to remove or soften language in their
resolution, which expressed affirmation for or support for council's
specific actions.  Those proposals were defeated by close votes.

Bishops meet in retreat
     Though not specifically related to the resolution, the bishops
devoted one day of their meeting here to an educational retreat on
human sexuality.  The retreat, conducted in closed session, followed
a similar format the Church Council used this past summer.
     The program included plenary presentations by Bob Gibeling,
Lutherans Concerned/ North America, Atlanta; and Dottie Ludwig,
Eagles' Wings Ministries, Minneapolis; and Bible studies led by the
Rev. Terence E. Fretheim, Luther Seminary, St. Paul; and the Rev.
Walter F. Taylor Jr., Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Columbus, Ohio.
Luther and Trinity are two of eight ELCA seminaries.  The retreat
involved the bishops in several small group discussions.
     The retreat was not intended to reach any conclusions on human
sexuality issues, such as ordination of non-celibate gay and lesbian
people and blessing of same-sex relationships, said the Rev. Donald
J. McCoid, bishop of the ELCA Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod,
Pittsburgh.  McCoid chairs the Conference of Bishops.
     While the ELCA welcomes and invites participation in
congregations by gay and lesbian people, ELCA policy requires gay and
lesbian people who are ordained to abstain from homosexual sexual
relationships.  The Conference of Bishops has advised ELCA pastors
that they do not approve of blessing same-sex relationships, though
their opinion is only advisory.  In 2000, two ELCA synods -- the
Greater Milwaukee Synod and Southeast Michigan Synod -- recognized
and affirmed the blessing of committed same-gender relationships by
their pastors.
     "The retreat was to give us an opportunity to have some time
away from the formal agenda to be fed, to discuss and to share,"
McCoid said.
     While there are differences among the bishops on human
sexuality issues, the discussions were honest, civil and respectful,
McCoid said, adding that it's important the bishops discuss such
issues. The bishops' model may help the church in moral deliberation
on the issues, he said.
     "We covet time as bishops to stand back from the pressure of
decision-making, from needing to make responses to policy proposals
before the church, and to seek the wisdom of one another in the
context of scripture and the theologians of our church," said the
Rev. Mark S. Hanson, bishop of the ELCA Saint Paul Area Synod. The
retreat also gave the bishops a chance to learn from their shared
experience on human sexuality issues, said Hanson, vice chair of the
Conference of Bishops.
     Gay and lesbian issues in the church call for responses that
acknowledge differences but don't divide or define the church, he
said.
     Hanson also emphasized the advisory role of the ELCA bishops.
     "We take our teaching role very seriously," he said. "I have a
deep concern that people not perceive us as changing policy or
setting an agenda, when we very clearly do not see ourselves in that
role."

For information contact: