From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglican Bishop of Jerusalem Issues Desperate Plea

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date 14 Mar 2001 19:18:27

Contact: Bishop Riah Abu el-Assal,
Anglican Diocese of Jerusalem
St. George's Cahtedral
20 Nablus Road, Jerusalem
Tel: (972-2) 627.1670

JERUSALEM, March 14, 2001--Addressing a group of church leaders, journalists
and NGO representatives in London last week, Bishop Riah Abu El-Assal clearly
carried the weight of the suffering of the Palestinian community; he looked
tired and reflected his peoples' desperation.

Speaking from the heart, Bishop Riah provided details of the current
situation in the Holy Land and made a plea for help and support from the
World Church and its leaders, and from the World Council of Churches for his
fellow Palestinians and the Christian community which he leads in the Middle
East.

The Bishop commented on how the Jewish and Muslim groups are strongly
supported by their worldwide communities, and he went on to lament "there are
two billion Christians in the world - we receive messages of encouragement
and support as well as gifts from Malaysia, even Sudan!   But the church in
the States, Australia, Canada and the UK ..."

He asked how he and his fellow clergy are meant to help their congregations
believe that they are members of the body of Christ, "We are desperate for
support these days, we are desperate."

Rev. Hanna Mansour from St. Luke's Hospital in Nablus, West Bank, agrees,
"It is time for the Church to show their commitment.  Statements are not
enough, we need more tangible things.  Christians must show solidarity with
the marginalized, the injured, the victims of injustice and those under
occupation.  Talk is easy during peaceful times, it is a burden during these
difficult days of conflict."

Bishop Riah spoke, too, of the frustration that across the world the
Christian community focuses on Christian -- Muslim relations instead of the
human rights abuses, suffering and apartheid situations that Palestinians are
facing daily.   "We need to protect human rights across the board -- not one
party only."

This was reiterated by Rev. Mansour, "We live in harmony with the Muslim
community here.  The current Intifada has reflected Palestinian unity to the
world; we live together under the Israeli tank fire, as human beings, as one
people.  Enough talking -- we want action from the world's Christians.  We
want to challenge them to a commitment, a worldwide commitment from
Christians."

The Jerusalem Diocese of the Anglican Church has 34 institutions with over
1200 people employed -- hospitals, clinics, schools, homes for those with
disabilities, and for the elderly.  "Our institutions are badly needed in
times of war, the services of the church are greatly appreciated but without
support and finance we cannot help."

Unemployment in Gaza is now at 81% and in the West Bank over 180,000 people
are out of work.  People had invested greatly in what was meant to be a boom
in tourism but instead hotels lie empty.  The bishop gave one example of a
hotel in the centre of Jerusalem which has 360 rooms and yet only nine people
are there.

St George's College has had to cancel nearly all of its courses as people are
unable to get to Jerusalem and overseas students are returning home.

Rev. Mansour commented, "Things are awful.  I have never experienced such a
situation, even during the first Intifada.  The amount of violence practiced
by the Israeli military is simply intolerable....  Movement around Nablus is
difficult to impossible.  The present situation is economically crushing, and
there is no way for families to provide their daily bread.   They come to us,
the hospital and the Church, for help, and assistance."

The Bishop highlighted,  "In Nazareth, as Israeli Arabs the people recognize
that they are better off than their brothers and sisters in Gaza and the West
Bank."

In response the congregation at Christ Church, Nazareth, recently collected
over 20,000 kilos of rice, flour and cooking oil for 100 families in the West
Bank.   This was taken in UN lorries to Jerusalem and then put into other
vehicles and taken to the West Bank.   Within Jerusalem the congregation of
St George's Cathedral have also collected food and clothing to support 30
families in nearby Ramallah.

The Bishop strongly signaled that Palestine is economically reaching a point
of complete disintegration -- a situation that both threatens the welfare of
individuals and families, and also presents a danger as desperation could
fuel the conflict.

Bishop Riah finished his talk reiterating how he would like to see the church
take the initiative and do something.  "I pray one day that when we stand
before the throne of God we will be able to say that we did not ignore God's
call to the least, to the homeless, the hungry and the bereaved."

"Never underestimate what each one of us can do -- the church began with 11
people who were ordinary individuals and who between them changed the course
of history -- it is time for the church to change history once more in the
Middle East."

The event was hosted by the Amos Trust, a U.K. Christian charity working for
justice and hope for the forgotten.   The Amos Trust is a delegated channel
for support for the Diocese of Jerusalem.

-end-