From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Pastoral Letter to the Episcopal Church

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 15 Mar 2001 09:54:40

2001-63

Pastoral Letter to the Episcopal Church
The Fifth Sunday in Lent
Sunday, April 1, 2001

     The Bishops of the Episcopal Church meet twice each year for prayer,
consultation, mutual support. and learning, for the good of the church and the
world we are called to serve. We gathered for our spring retreat this year from
March 9-14 in the ancient mountains of the Appalachian chain in Western North
Carolina. Our meeting immediately followed the meeting of the Primates, the
leaders of the 38 member churches of our Anglican Communion, presided over by the
Archbishop of Canterbury. We were blessed by the presence of the Archbishop of
Canterbury for two days, and by the participation of the Primates of Central
Africa and Papua New Guinea. These brother Christians were a reminder of our
participation in a 70-million-member worldwide Anglican family.

     During these days we have been united through prayer to you, God's beloved
people. With thankful hearts for the Spirit of Christ moving among us, we send
you this pastoral letter, to be read in every congregation on Sunday, April 1.

     Dearly Beloved in Christ:

     Grace and peace be with you in these days of Lent as we journey with our
Lord up to Jerusalem and through the cross into the joy of Easter and the new
life of the resurrection.

     Our retreat has made us freshly aware of the boundless love of God and the
gift of our belovedness in Christ. We have become mindful of how God has been
leading us into deeper communion as your bishops and into a renewed awareness of
our call to mission. The words of the prophet Isaiah speak to us powerfully, "I
am about to do a new thing, now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?"

     We who are called as bishops to be a sign of unity speak to you with minds
and hearts being united and transformed by the love of God. Our unity does not
mean we are in agreement about all of the difficult and complex questions before
us. It means we have claimed our oneness in Christ.

     We are heartened by the Primates' Pastoral Letter to the Anglican Communion
and their conclusion that - though we live in enormously diverse settings, and
hold a wide variety of perspectives - God means for us to remain united and to
learn from one another in a spirit of unity and interdependence. The Primates
have also called upon us to provide pastoral care for all in our Communion, as we
grow in Christ's wisdom. We mean to respond faithfully to that call. We trust in
the promise of God to lead us all the more deeply into the mind of Christ, whose
dying and rising makes us free to live not for ourselves alone but for God.

     Our Study together centered on leadership for the purpose of advancing the
mission of tile Church. This mission, as the Catechism of the Book of Common
Prayer tells us, is "to restore all people to unity with God and each other in
Christ." We live in a world urgently searching for such restoration: spiritually,
socially, racially, and environmentally. As Christians we have been given a word
to speak and a new life to live: God has "reconciled us to himself through
Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation" (11 Corinthians 5: 18).
This is the Good News that we proclaim. This is the work God gives us to do.

     Ronald Heifetz, the author of Leadership Without Easy Answers, was with us.
He challenged us to help create an environment in our dioceses open to a variety
of convictions so that faithful ministry and creative interaction can be
sustained within a richness of diverse perspectives. The objective of such
leadership is to build authentic community ready to be animated by the Spirit to
go forward in mission.

     We are under no illusions that leading in this way is simple. Each of us is
keenly aware of our weakness and failure, such that repentance is the necessary
preface to our leading. We are humbled by God's boundless mercy and promise. Our
repentance renews us as we are encouraged by one another. As leaders we are
convinced by the Gospel's deep assurance that every member of the Body of Christ
is the beloved bearer of God's purposes in the world. We are grateful for the
many gifts and capacities entrusted to our church. We are inspired by the
faithful and sacrificial ministries of so many. We are sustained by your prayers.

     As your servants we are determined to put our common call to serve the
mission of Christ above all else. We pledge that we will give our best energies
to the work of restoring all people to unity with God and one another, because we
know that the reconciling power of God in Christ is ceaselessly at work to
overcome all division. Every concern for truth finds its wellspring in God's love
for the world. Every concern for justice finds its wellspring in God's love.
Every concern for peace finds its wellspring there. We call upon you to grow in
the unity of the Holy Spirit as we together claim the fullness of our calling to
share in God's mission of reconciling love.

     Forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, let us
press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ
Jesus (Philippians 4:14).

     Your servants in Christ,

     The Bishops of the Episcopal Church, gathered for the Spring Meeting,
March, 2001