From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Seminaries Urged to Heed Evidence in New Research

From wfn@wfn.org
Date 22 Mar 2001 10:42:02

For further information, contact:
David Barrett, director of public and institutional affairs
Hartford Seminary
77 Sherman Street
Hartford CT 06105
Tel: 860-509-9519
Email: FACT-Info@hartsem.edu
Web: http://fact.hartsem.edu

ST. LOUIS, March 21, 2001--Eden Theological Seminary President David M.
Greenhaw is urging seminaries to heed concerns raised by the Faith
Communities Today (FACT) report on religion in the United States and to use
the information it provides to strengthen theological education.

     Among its many findings, the FACT report raises questions about the
educational process of preparing leaders for congregations.

     "This study should serve as a wake-up call to seminaries everywhere,"
said Dr. Greenhaw.  "This is vitally important new information-while it
raises concerns, it also begins to give us information that will be
invaluable in our work of strengthening theological education.  If
seminaries are truly to serve the church by preparing effective and
dynamic leadership for congregations, we dare not ignore this landmark study."

     Findings of the study, "Faith Communities Today: A Report on Religion in
the United States Today," were released on March 13 at a news conference in
New York City.  Dr. Greenhaw  participated in the news conference as the
seminary project resource person.

     The study draws its findings from 14,301 congregations in more than 40
denominations and faith groups - the broadest religious coalition ever
assembled for research in this country.  The study is the most comprehensive
picture of U.S. churches, synagogues, mosques and other bodies ever
developed.  It provides significant information about the changing face and
needs of today's congregations, offering an unprecedented view of
congregational life, health and mission.  Researchers looked at such areas
as worship and identity, location and facilities, programs, participants and
finances.

     The study also examined issues of congregational leadership, providing a
yardstick by which seminaries can better tailor the experience of
theological education for today's congregations and suggesting several
areas of concern.

     The report concludes, "...congregations with leaders who have seminary
education are, as a group, far more likely to report that in their
congregations they perceive less clarity of purpose; more and different
kinds of conflict; less person-to-person communication; less confidence in the
future and more threat from changes to worship."

     Researchers also reported that seminary graduates may be slightly less
likely than non-seminary grads to be located in congregations that are vital
and alive, growing in members, using contemporary worship, clear about
purpose and mission and well organized.

     While the researchers clearly point out that these and other findings
may be due to factors other than the education of the leaders, they suggest
the
need for careful review of seminary preparation.  Eden Seminary expects to
receive a grant to further interpret and find ways to apply the information
gathered by FACT researchers.

     "It is clear that we must take the next step," said Dr. Greenhaw.  "It
is simply not enough to be aware of these concerns.  We must understand and use
the FACT findings to adapt seminary education for a dramatically changing
church."

     "We are always seeking ways to serve the church more effectively" he
said.  "The exciting news is that we now have a resource rich with the kinds
of raw materials we've never before had; it is now up to us to use those
materials to create more effective leadership for the church we care so much
about."

     The FACT research and a follow-up educational program is being
coordinated by the Hartford Seminary's Hartford Institute for Religion
Research.

The participating religious groups are funding research, analysis
and follow-up with support from the Lilly Endowment Inc. of Indianapolis,
Indiana.

     Eden Theological Seminary, which celebrated its 150th anniversary in
2000, is affiliated with the United Church of Christ. Approximately 180
students representing 18 denominations and faith groups are enrolled in
studies at Eden.

     Editor's note:  For more information or to arrange an interview, contact

Lois Ford Long, director of media relations, at (314) 918-2568 or by mobile
phone at (314) 494-7442.

For more information on the FACT study, contact J. Martin Bailey at
(973) 324-9684 or visit the website at
http://fact.hartsem.edu.