From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal News Service Briefs

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 23 Mar 2001 13:07:10

2001-69

News Briefs

Lutheran board asks church to affirm its welcome to gays and lesbians

     (ELCA News Service) The Division for Outreach of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America is asking the Church Council to develop a message that would
affirm the church's commitment to hospitality for gays and lesbians, building on
an earlier message from the Conference of Bishops.

     "We repudiate all words and acts of hatred toward gay and lesbian persons in
our congregations and in our communities, and extend a caring welcome for gay and
lesbian persons and their families," said the bishops in their 1996 letter to the
church. "We ask all our members to join us in repentance for hurtful actions
toward others, and in forgiving when we have been the objects of anger or hate."

     The Division for Outreach said, at its February meeting, that it "would hope
that the message of that letter would go farther." It also began a process to
seek recognition for Lutherans Concerned/North America as it seeks to encourage
gays, lesbians and bisexual people who feel alienated from Christian churches to
return to worship in caring communities. Recognition would invite the
organization to "continue in a more significant way" the conversation about
hospitality.

     The church's board for the Division for Ministry is submitting a "Report on
conversations about homosexuality and the church" to the Church Council and to
the 2001 Churchwide Assembly this summer. It is a report on the actions, meetings
and commitments the church has made, listing four types of study materials the
church has produced, and a range of conversations and events sponsored by the
church. "It's a very clear indication that there is a serious conversation going
on across the church, that we are committed to honoring the place of homosexual
people in the full life of this church," said the Rev. Joseph Wagner, executive
director of the division.

     The church's Division for Church in Society has asked for materials to aid
the discussion of "justice issues for gay and lesbian persons in church and
society."

Episcopalians join religious leaders urging campaign finance reform

     (ENS) A broad coalition of religious leaders have signed a March 16 letter
urging Congress to support campaign finance legislation that would ban so-called
"soft money" contributions to political parties. A total of 286 Protestant, Roman
Catholic and Jewish leaders--including Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold of the
Episcopal Church--responded to the initiative sponsored by Religious Leaders for
Campaign Finance Reform, convened by the National Council of Churches.

     The leaders urged Congress "to support the bill in its current form in order
to restore credibility to the democratic process and ensure that persons and
groups with extraordinary wealth do not continue to have undue influence in our
elections," the letter said. "While further reform, including voluntary major
public financing of election campaigns, will undoubtedly be necessary, the
McCain-Feingold bill is a significant first step in building fairness and public
confidence in our system of government."

     The bill not only has bipartisan support, "it also has widespread
theological support," said the Rev. Robert Edgar, general secretary of the NCC.
"It's a faith issue because we need Congress to act not at the behest of the
special interests that can fund their campaigns but on the national interest,
especially the needs of people in poverty and of children," said Edgar, a former
member of Congress.

Church of England will examine possibility of women bishops

     (AP) The Church of England has appointed a bishop to head a working group to
examine the contentious issue of allowing women to serve as bishops. The church
has been ordaining women to the priesthood since 1994 but has not followed the
example of Episcopal/Anglican churches in other parts of the world in opening the
way to women in the episcopate. Women now serve as bishops in the United States,
Canada and News Zealand.

     "Some people have said that, because the Church of England now ordains women
to the priesthood, it is only natural that they should also be appointed
bishops," said Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali of Rochester who will chair the working
group. "My view is that we are now at the start of a process, rather than
reaching the end of one."

     Half of the 10 members on the panel are women. The panel will make an
interim report to the church's governing General Synod in 2002.

Canadian Anglicans unveil plan to heal rift with Indigenous peoples

     (Anglican News Service) The Anglican Church of Canada has unveiled a multi-
faceted plan intended to help the church as it moves towards healing with
Indigenous peoples. Among the goals are support for Indigenous peoples to self-
determination, increasing advocacy for justice, expanding the church's Healing
Fund grants to help shape healing programs on the local level, addressing the
consequences of colonialism and assimilation policies and working to build a new
partnership with a goal of reconciliation.

     The plan was adopted by the Anglican Council of Indigenous Peoples and now
goes to the church's Executive Council for ratification.

     The effort at healing has taken on an urgency in the wake of lawsuits by
former students at residential schools alleging abusive treatment. The Anglican
Church operated some of the schools for the government. The church at the
national and diocesan level faces possible bankruptcy because the Canadian
Department of Justice has drawn the churches into the lawsuits.

     The healing plan underscores the church's commitment to a new relationship
with Indigenous Peoples, "based on a partnership which focuses on the cultural,
spiritual, social and economic independence of Indigenous communities."

Vatican accused of air pollution

     (ENI) Italian authorities have accused the Vatican of polluting the air with
electromagnetic waves.

     For half a century, Vatican Radio has been beaming the pope's words around
the world, from a forest of antennas in Santa Maria di Galeria, on the northern
outskirts of Rome.

     However in recent years, people living near the complex have complained that
the transmissions interfere with their home appliances, telephones, and
television reception. Furthermore, environmental groups allege the
electromagnetic waves cause cancer.

     On March 12, the Rev. Pasquale Borgomeo, Cardinal Roberto Tucci and
Costantino Pacifici, all Vatican Radio officials, were scheduled to go on trial
for allegedly breaking Italy's standards on the emission of electromagnetic
fields by radio stations and telephone transmitters. However, a judge ruled that
the three had never been served with legal papers notifying them of the trial.

     The Vatican argued that it is shielded from Italian law and has refused to
accept the legal summonses, delivered through diplomatic channels.

     If convicted, the three could face up to a year in prison.

Episcopal priest in Maryland sentenced to nine months for drug trafficking

     (Washington Post) On March 19 an Episcopal priest was ordered to serve nine
months in prison after pleading guilty to dealing methamphetamine, or "speed,"
from his Laytonsville, Maryland, church in what his attorney called part of a
personal $300-a-day drug habit.

     The Rev. Travis Koerner, rector of the 200-member St. Bartholomew's
Episcopal Church, is believed to be the first Episcopal priest in the country
convicted of dealing drugs. The case has caused church officials to ask more
pointed questions about drug use during priests' periodic background checks, said
the Rev. Ted Karpf, a spokesman for the Diocese of Washington.

     "This has been a kind of wake-up call for the whole church," Karpf said
after the sentencing. "We've been through something that was unimaginable five
months ago."

     Koerner, a priest for 23 years, was arrested last October when prosecutors
said police found as much as $14,000 worth of methamphetamine during a raid of
the church's rectory. Police reported it as the largest drug seizure in the
county in five years.

     Koerner has been held at inpatient drug treatment facilities since his
arrest as a condition of his bond. He told the judge that he was grateful for his
arrest because it forced him to get treatment that he otherwise would not have
sought.

     "I've counseled people in trouble, I've married people, I've baptized their
babies," Koerner said. "This is an affront to my entire congregation."

     Koerner has been temporarily barred from ministering. He will not begin serving
his sentence in Montgomery until similar charges against him in Arlington, Virginia,
are resolved. Karpf said church officials found that Koerner did not use parish
funds in his drug business.