From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bush Asks Sharon to Halt Work on Nazareth Mosque

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date 25 Mar 2001 17:37:14

Contact:  Fr. Raed Awad Abusahlia
P.O.Box 14152  Jerusalem  91141
Tel.  (972 2) 628.2323 / 627.2280
Fax  (972 2) 627.1652
Personal E-mail: nonviolence@writeme.com
Latin Patriarchate E-mail: Latinpat@actcom.co.il
Latin Patriarchate's Homepage: http://www.Lpj.org
"Nonviolence Homepage": http://go.to/nonviolence

JERUSALEM, March 23, 2001 -- U.S. President George W. Bush has asked Israeli
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon to withdraw permission for construction of a
mosque in front of the Basilica of the Annunciation in Nazareth, Radio Israel
reported here this morning.

The request was made Tuesday during a meeting between Bush and Sharon in
Washington, D.C.  Some American Christian leaders had urged Bush to seek a
reversal of the decision allowing the mosque.

Israeli Franciscan, Father David Jaeger, a member of the Latin Catholic group
assigned  "Custody of the Holy Land," told the international agency Fides: "I
am delighted and very grateful to President Bush, to the American Catholic
bishops, and American Christian leaders in general.

"Many Protestant church officials I met on several visits to the United
States had assured me of their backing for the request made by the Franciscan
Custodians.  The president's support echoes voices raised all over the
Christian world," he said.

The government of Ehud Barak had ceded to a request by Muslim fundamentalists
for a mosque on the doorstep of the Nazareth basilica.

On several occasions, the decision created friction between Christians and
Muslim fundamentalists in the Holy Land.  As a protest against the laying of
the foundation stone on Nov. 23, 1999, Christian churches and holy places
throughout the Holy Land kept their doors closed for two days.

"The mosque is not essential to the spiritual needs of the Muslim community,
since there are other Muslim places of worship in the area," the Franciscan
spokesperson said.

"In 1999, Yasser Arafat himself expressed his opposition to the construction."

-End-