From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: AFC OFFERING CELEBRATES 50 YEARS

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date 28 Mar 2001 13:25:58

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

AMERICA FOR CHRIST OFFERING, CELEBRATING
HALF CENTURY, CHALLENGES CHURCHES
TO INCREASE GIVING BY 50 PERCENT
 America for Christ, the national offering that has
given churches and individuals the opportunity to fund
home and educational mission since 1951, is this year
challenging American Baptists to celebrate that half-
century anniversary by increasing their support by 50% or
more.
 The offering traditionally is received in March, and
early giving figures indicate that many churches are
responding to the challenge with increased goals and
successful giving campaigns.  The 50th anniversary theme,
"When did we see you?," from Matt. 25:31-46, calls
American Baptists to "see Jesus in the faces of those in
need and minister...in his name" through generous giving.
 The America for Christ Offering will be a
significant source of funding that complements the NEW
LIFE 2010 national vision for American Baptist Churches
USA-to realize 1,000,010 new Christians, plant 1,010 new
churches, reach out in a multitude of caring ministries, and
so transform congregations by the year 2010.
 "I've called on American Baptist leaders to
strongly consider reaching deeper into their pockets this
year in honor of the 50th anniversary and make leadership
gifts to this important offering," said Dr. Aidsand F.
Wright-Riggins III, executive director of National
Ministries.  He added: "In addition to supporting our
emerging values and new vision of mission in this country
and Puerto Rico, the offering heartily supports the mission
priorities that National Ministries has been engaged in over
the years."
 The America for Christ Offering also supports
Educational Ministries' initiatives to develop disciple-
making churches.  "We believe that the needs of this age
demand dynamic disciples who are grounded in a deep
relationship with Christ, equipped to be about God's work,
and sent into ministry in God's world," said Dr. Jean B.
Kim, executive director of Educational Ministries.  "Taking
discipleship seriously is essential for reaching new
believers and planting new churches."
 Among highlights of the current AFC campaign
was a national "Walk America for Christ" held March 17
and March 18 that included thousands of American
Baptists across the U.S.
 One such event, involving 15 members of First
Baptist Church of Lincoln in the neighborhood adjacent to
their church building, was reported by the Rev. Donald
Gaines, minister of Mission Support for American Baptist
Churches of Nebraska: "This is an ethnically diverse, low-
income area with housing ranging from single family units
to high-rise apartments.  The Board [of Missions] felt that
as the congregation was giving money to the offering they
ought also become personally involved in reaching people
in their neighborhood for Christ.  Groups of three persons
were assigned six square blocks each...praying for the
spiritual, social and economic welfare of the residents
[and] asking God for guidance in how to relate to the
neighborhood....  The walkers returned with a new
understanding of the physical nature of the community;
serious discussion focused on the possibilities of public
events to attract the people to the church and ways to
make personal contact with the people."
 The America for Christ Offering also is a priority
for First Baptist Church of Marietta in Ohio, according to
the Rev. Dr. Gary D. Stowasser, senior minister.  He
noted: "Our members understand the importance of
missions in the United States, around our state and right
in our own backyards....  Here in Ohio, America for Christ
provides training for evangelism, discipleship and lay
pastors.  It funds youth conventions, retreats and
leadership training, as well as camping and campus
ministries....  America for Christ helps plant new churches
here in Ohio."
        For more information about America for Christ, visit
www.abc-usa.org and
ww.nationalministries.org/mission/2001america.cfm."

WFN0328A
 -0-