From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Religious Leaders Ask Meeting with Bush on Environment

From carolf@ncccusa.org
Date 30 Mar 2001 13:04:32

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227; news@ncccusa.org

	March 30, 2001, NEW YORK CITY - Six senior Christian and Jewish religious
leaders have written to President George W. Bush, asking for a meeting with
him about his environmental policy, especially around issues of climate
change.

	"We reach out as senior leaders of major American faith communities eager
to discuss with you a challenge of paramount religious significance: the
condition of God's creation at the hands of God's children, the climate of
planet Earth as being altered by the activity of God's people," they wrote.

	"In recent days," they continued, "we have been reading reports of what
the administration is not prepared to do to address climate change.  We are
eager to learn what our government will enact here: in a credible, binding
program to honor international commitments, successfully prevent destruc
tive impacts on humankind and habitat, and embody equity."  The full text
of their letter follows.

March 29, 2001

President George W. Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

We reach out as senior leaders of major American faith communities eager to
discuss with you a challenge of paramount religious significance: the
condition of God's creation at the hands of God's children, the climate of
planet Earth as being altered by the activity of the Earth's people.

Many of us have carefully followed the inquiry into climate change and
global warming.  While we interact with them regularly, we are not
scientists, policy-makers, leaders within the economic sector, or
architects of global treaties.  We do not comment on complex data or
technological responses.  Nor do we wish to encourage narrow partisanship
about an issue which so clearly affects the well-being of all humankind.

We believe there is a point, however, at which scientific consensus is
sufficiently established to require consideration of long-standing
religious and moral principles of prudence and precaution.  If credible
evidence exists to indicate our present course could threaten the quality
of life for God's creation and God's children, this becomes an issue of
paramount moral concern.

We are persuaded that this point of prudence is now upon us.  Projected
impacts of global warming on the most poor and vulnerable are ethically
unacceptable.  Domestic and international action is urgently required.  The
United States has a moral responsibility to lead the world's nations and to
serve its people. In recent days, we have been reading reports of what the
administration is not prepared to do to address climate change.  We are
eager to learn what our government will enact here: in a credible, binding
program to honor international commitments, successfully prevent
destructive impacts on humankind and habitat, and embody equity.

Our scriptures are plain about the religious dimension of this challenge.
 When it is all creation on Earth that is being affected, we freshly
appreciate the principle that, "The Earth is the Lord's." (Ps.24:1)  Our
climate and seasons are God's handicraft, "Yours is the day.  Yours is also
the night.  You made summer and winter." (Ps. 74:16-17)  All life is
embraced by God's covenant and with particular instructions regarding our
children and children's children. "This is the token of the covenant which
I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for
perpetual generations." (Gen. 9:12)

Because human purpose in the greater web of life is a central issue here,
this inquiry is expanding beyond the laboratories of science and the halls
of diplomacy to the pulpits and pews of the American heartland.  We believe
you should be aware that many of our denominations have passed resolutions
on climate change and that local activity is growing in churches and
synagogues across a broad spectrum of religious life.  We can confirm what
EPA Administrator Whitman reported to you on March 6th:  "For the first
time, the world's religious communities have started to engage in the
issue."  And while there are diverse perspectives on policy, many still
evolving, it is our view that this activity will grow exponentially, from
genuine religious and moral conviction.

We in the faith community are in a process of open dialogue and inquiry
here. We are heartened by your early commitment to civil, moderate,
bipartisan dialogue and, particularly, by your willingness to hear the
voice of the faith community.  We hope you will follow this path on the
issue of climate change.  We are eager to meet with you for further
reflection, perhaps in a small gathering in June.

Meanwhile, we believe an historic challenge is before us all here, foreseen
by our scriptures, and freshly vivid in these signs of the times, "I have
set before you life or death, blessings or curse.  Choose life, therefore,
that you and your descendants may live."  (Dt. 30:19)

Signatories:

Ismar Schorsch
Chancellor, Jewish Theological Seminary

Dr. Bob Edgar
General Secretary
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA

The Reverend Clifton Kirkpatrick
Stated Clerk
Presbyterian Church (USA)

Bishop Melvin G. Talbert
Senior Ecumenical Officer, United Methodist Church

The Reverend Richard L. Hamm
General Minister and President
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

Bishop McKinley Young