From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Calling of rector splits Maryland Episcopal parish

From wfn@wfn.org
Date 02 Apr 2001 17:41:06

2001-71

Calling of rector splits Maryland parish

by Jan Nunley

      A controversial choice for rector of a small Maryland parish is at the
center of a dispute over ecclesiastical authority in the Diocese of Washington.

      On March 8, bishop pro tempore Jane Holmes Dixon told the vestry of
Christ
Episcopal Church and St. John's Parish in Accokeek, Maryland, that she
could not
approve its calling of the Rev. Samuel Lee Edwards as its next rector. But
Edwards has moved his family into the rectory anyway, and started his duties
April 1.

      Edwards, former executive director of the organization Forward in
Faith/North America (FIF/NA), is opposed to the ordination of women to the
priesthood and episcopate. He stepped down from the FIF/NA position late last
year.

      In an interview, Dixon said the decision to withhold her approval
came after
a number of Christ Church parishioners contacted her expressing "substantial
concerns" about published statements by Edwards regarding the Episcopal
Church.
"People were emailing and calling me, saying 'are you aware of this man's
views?'" Dixon said in an interview. "I got on the Web and read these
articles,
indicating he wanted to take parishes out of the Episcopal Church. I needed to
know whether he still believed that--whether he'd changed his mind. He hadn't.
And so I had to say no," Dixon said.

      "I cannot imagine a bishop, as chief pastor of a diocese, approving the
election of a priest to serve a congregation when that priest has a marked and
publicly stated antipathy--far beyond comment and critique--toward the
church in
which he was ordained," said Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold in a statement
March
16. "Therefore, as Presiding Bishop, I am in complete support of Bishop
Dixon's
decision, arrived at after consultation with Father Edwards, not to approve
his
election as rector."

Authority stems from canons

      According to Title III.17.3 of the canons of the Episcopal Church, the
ecclesiastical authority of the diocese must be satisfied that a person
chosen as
rector is a "duly qualified priest"--not only ordained in the Episcopal
Church,
but fit to be rector of the calling parish. Since Ronald Haines retired as
diocesan bishop at the end of December, Dixon, the bishop suffragan, has been
serving as bishop pro tempore and is the ecclesiastical authority in the
diocese.

      "Courts of law have recognized this well-established ecclesiastical
rule in
the Episcopal Church," said a statement issued by the diocese on March 16. "As
the Supreme Court of the State of New York observed in a judgment later
affirmed
on appeal: 'The words "duly qualified" mean more than "duly ordained."  They
imply qualifications to preside over the worship and spiritual jurisdiction of
the parish…'"

      Dixon consulted with the Standing Committee and the Executive
Committee of
the Diocesan Council, and reported that both groups supported her decision.

      Among the factors cited in the March statement were:

    *  Reports of Edwards' prior teachings concerning the Episcopal Church,
published in the FIF/NA magazine FOUNDATIONS, including a 1997 editorial
calling
ECUSA "the Unchurch," a 1998 editorial saying that ECUSA practices
"institutionalized lawlessness," a 2000 editorial saying that the
"machinery" of
the Episcopal Church is "hell-bound" and advocating "gumming up the works,"
and
another 2000 editorial urging clergy and congregations to "sever their
connections" with ECUSA;

    *  His "willingness to break certain solemn vows that he took at his
ordination" as an Episcopal priest;

    *  His "unwillingness to guarantee his obedience" to Dixon as his
bishop; and

    *  His "lack of commitment to keeping Christ Church and church
property" in the
Episcopal Church.

      "My major concern is for the spiritual well-being of the members of the
parish," Dixon explained. "We need them to be preaching and living the
Gospel for
the community that surrounds them."

Objections raised

      In March, Charles H. Nalls, executive director of the conservative
Canon Law
Institute in Washington, offered to serve as counsel to the vestry pro
bono. It
is unclear who in the parish decided to retain Nalls, an attorney for the
Washington law firm of deKieffer & Horgan.

      Six days after Dixon announced her decision, Nalls distributed a
five-page
rebuttal of her letter on the Internet. The letter claimed that Dixon's
"right of
advice and objection" to Edwards' call was limited to the 30 days following
notification of the call. "There is no provision for extension of this
period,"
which expired on January 22, Nalls said.

      In the letter, Nalls maintained that Dixon did not respond to Christ
Church's vestry until February 20, "more than sixty days after the
notification,
thirty days after notification of the intent to contract and two weeks
after the
ratification of the clergy contract,"  according to his letter.

      Canon III.17.2 specifies that no election for a rector may be held
until the
name of the priest being proposed is given to the ecclesiastical authority,
who
then has thirty days to respond. But the following section (III.17.3) states
that "if the Ecclesiastical Authority be satisfied that the person so
chosen is a
duly qualified Priest and that the Priest has accepted the office," the
election
may be recorded as valid. There is no restriction in the canon on the amount
of time given to the ecclesiastical authority to respond once an election
is held.

      According to the same section, sex cannot be a factor in determining a
priest's qualifications, but the canon does not specify any other issues.

      Nalls said that Edwards "prepared and approved" the portion of his
letter
denying Dixon's assertions about Edwards. "Though the recognition of who is
or is
not a Bishop of the Anglican Communion is a matter that is not within his
competence," the letter said,  Edwards could recognize Dixon's "institutional
status within the Communion [but] could not recognize [her] as a bishop in the
succession of the apostles." He denied that Edwards intended to snub Dixon if
installed as rector.

Locked out

      But when Dixon attempted to visit the congregation for a parish
meeting on
the afternoon of March 18, she and the 97 people gathered found the parish
doors
locked--and the locks changed to prevent entry. The meeting reportedly had
been
canceled by the senior warden, Barbara Sturman, at an earlier service.

      "About 80 of those people were from that parish," said Dixon, "and
they said
to me, 'Bishop, how are you going to help us? We are members of the Episcopal
Church, we love it and we want to stay in it."

      Forty of those present signed a petition calling for a parish meeting
with
the bishop on April 1. About 200 people showed up to hear Dixon's side of the
controversy.

      Until the situation is resolved, retired bishops Ted Eastman of
Maryland and
James Montgomery of Chicago have agreed to worship with the parish "so they're
not without a pastor when I can't be there," Dixon said.

Working for mutual respect

      Sources in the diocese say the initial response from some quarters to
Dixon's election as suffragan resembled the reaction to the election of John
Walker as bishop suffragan of Washington in 1971. Some congregations in the
diocese reportedly called Walker by racist epithets and told him to "go
home and
minister to your own people." "But you are my people," Walker would reply,
and by
1976 he was elected diocesan bishop, the second African-American to serve
in that
position in the Episcopal Church.

      According to a source, Haines' decision to support Dixon's
visitations in
parishes opposed to women's ordination was based on Walker's experience. In
the
five years since her consecration, Dixon has visited three of those parishes
twice: Ascension and St. Agnes; St. Luke's, Bladensburg; and St. Paul's, K
Street.

      "Both the clergy and I in those traditional parishes have worked hard at
mutual respect and mutual ministry," Dixon said. "There's no bar in this
diocese to
calling a rector who's opposed to women's ordination, or to visits in those
parishes
from bishops who are opposed to it.

      "But respecting the ecclesiastical authority is a different thing,
and that's what
is at issue here."

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of the Office of News and Information
for the Episcopal Church.