From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Florida Episcopal bishops request clemency for Lionel Tate

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 03 Apr 2001 12:36:22

2001-73

Florida Episcopal bishops request clemency for Lionel Tate

by Mary Cox

     (ENS) The bishops of the Florida Episcopal dioceses have sent a letter to
Florida Governor Jeb Bush, requesting clemency for 14-year-old Lionel Tate, who
was sentenced last month to life in prison, without parole, for the beating death
of a six-year-old playmate. Tate was only 12 years old when the crime was
committed.

     "We are not excusing his actions," the bishops' letter says, "but we believe
the judgment is disproportionate in the case of a minor and punishment is cruel
and unusual.

     We are appealing to your humanity for a less harsh treatment of this young
boy. The eyes of the world are upon us, and by exercising clemency we would be
demonstrating our ability to work toward redemption and rehabilitation rather
than vengeance."

     The letter, dated March 27, is signed by the Rt. Rev. Leo Frade, bishop of
the Diocese of Southeast Florida, which includes 81 congregations from Jensen
Beach to Key West, and is submitted on behalf of six other Florida bishops:
Southeast Florida's Bishop Suffragan John Said and retired Bishop Calvin O.
Schofield, Jr.; Charles Duvall, bishop of Central Gulf Coast; John Howe, bishop
of Central Florida; Stephen Jecko, bishop of Florida; and John Lipscomb, bishop
of Southwest Florida.

      (The complete text of the bishops' letter follows.)

     Dear Governor:

     Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. We, all Anglican Bishops of
the Episcopal Church in the State of Florida, are writing requesting clemency for
the 14 year-old boy, Lionel Tate, who was sentenced on March 9th, 2001 to life in
prison without the opportunity of parole for a crime he committed when he was 12
years old.

     We are not excusing his actions, but we believe the judgment is
disproportionate in the case of a minor and punishment is cruel and unusual.

     We are appealing to your humanity for a less harsh treatment of this young
boy. The eyes of the world are upon us, and by exercising clemency we would be
demonstrating our ability to work toward redemption and rehabilitation rather
than vengeance.

     We sincerely thank you on behalf of the Episcopal Church in the State of
Florida for your time and consideration to this matter.

     Many blessings,

     The Rt. Rev. Leopold Frade, D.D.

     Diocese of Southeast Florida

     Submitted on behalf of the following Bishops:

     The Rt. Rev. Charles F. Duvall, D.D.

     Diocese of Central Gulf Coast

     The Rt. Rev. John W. Howe, D.D.

     Diocese of Central Florida

     The Rt. Rev. Stephen H. Jecko

     Diocese of Florida

     The Rt. Rev. John B. Lipscomb

     Diocese of Southwest Florida

     The Rt. Rev. John L. Said

     Diocese of Southeast Florida

     The Rt. Rev. Calvin O. Schofield, Jr.

     Diocese of Southeast Florida

--Mary Cox is communications coordinator for the Diocese of Southeast Florida.