From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Religious Leaders Speak Against Bush Proposed Tax Cut

From carolf@ncccusa.org
Date 05 Apr 2001 15:59:58

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252; www.ncccusa.org
NCC4/5/01  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

	April 5, 2001, WASHINGTON, D.C. - A panel of religious leaders today spoke
out against the tax cuts proposed by President Bush as "too inequitable"
and "too large."

They released a statement whose initial 18 Christian and Jewish signatories
represent the beginnings of a new "Religious Community for Responsible Tax
Policy," which asserts that "responsible tax policy should be structured so
that the poorest households benefit."

Their congregations and agencies, at work in impoverished communities, are
first-hand witnesses to human need, they said.

	"As millions of people - parents and children, the elderly, people with
disabilities and the working poor - are driven to seek charity to meet
their most basic needs, we are appalled that the focus of attention in this
Congressional session is not on meeting their needs; rather, it is on tax
cuts that will mostly benefit the affluent," they said.

	The Rev. Dr. Bob Edgar, General Secretary of the National Council of
Churches, moderated today's news conference. "There's no budget surplus if
there are still people living in poverty," he said.

Also addressing the news conference were Sister Anne Curtis of Network, a
National Catholic Social Justice Lobby; Mark Pelavin, Associate Director of
the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism; the Rev. John Buehrens,
President, Unitarian Universalist Association, and George Regas of the
Regas Institute.

The religious leaders' full statement follows, along with a list of
signatories to date:

"As representatives of the faith community we believe that government is
intended to serve God's purposes by promoting the common good.  Paying
taxes to enable government to provide for the needs of society is an
appropriate expression of our stewardship.  We believe the United States of
America should have a responsible tax policy for all people, particularly
the most vulnerable.

"We are gravely concerned with the current tax cut proposals initiated by
President Bush and being debated and passed by Congress.  As millions of
people - parents and children, the elderly, people with disabilities, and
the working poor - are driven to seek charity to meet their most basic
needs, we are appalled that the focus of attention in this Congressional
session is not on meeting their needs; rather, it is on tax cuts that will
mostly benefit the affluent.

"Polls show that the American people do not want a tax cut if it means cuts
in spending for social programs.  The size and magnitude of these tax cut
proposals endanger the very programs that the majority of people in our
country need and support.  If the surpluses do not materialize as
projected, a huge tax cut that is passed this year would require spending
cuts in public education, health care, Social Security, Medicare, economic
development, poverty, homelessness and international development assistance
for the next decade and beyond.  These are the very programs in which our
nation should invest.

"It is a disgrace that in this rich country 43 million people have no
health coverage and that nearly five million renter households spend over
50% of their meager incomes for shelter or live in substandard housing,
while the number of affordable rental housing units continues to decline.
 Soaring utility costs will only worsen their plight.  While unemployment
is at an all-time low, millions of people work at wages so low that they
cannot support their families.  They are the ones who will suffer the most
as the economy weakens.

"Responsible tax policy should be structured so that the poorest households
benefit.  For example, we support increasing the child tax credit and
making it refundable so that all families who are too poor to owe income
taxes but pay other federal taxes may receive a credit.  We also support an
expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).  We support the
President's proposal to allow non-itemizers to claim a tax deduction for
their charitable contributions because we believe this will encourage
people to give more to charities that work to address human need.  But we
do not believe that charitable contributions should be expected to replace
government investment.

"Let us be clear, we oppose the tax cut proposal initiated by President
Bush and currently moving through Congress.  It is too inequitable, too
large, and threatens the future well being of our nation."

Curtis Ramsey-Lucas
Director of Legislative Advocacy, National Ministries
American Baptist Churches, USA

Mary Ellen McNish
General Secretary, American Friends Service Committee

Rev. David Beckmann
President, Bread for the World

Rabbi Paul J. Menitoff
Executive Vice President, Central Conference of American Rabbis
Rev. Ken Brooker Langston
Co-Convener, Disciples Advocacy Washington Network
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

Rev. Jerrye G. Champion
President, Church Women United

Rev. H. George Anderson
Presiding Bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Joe Volk
Executive Secretary, Friends Committee on National Legislation (Quaker)

Rabbi Daniel Polish
Director, Joint Commission on Social Action of Reform Judaism

Jose¢ Ortiz
Executive Director, Mennonite Central Committee of U.S.

Rev. Dr. Bob Edgar
General Secretary, National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA

Kathy Thornton, RSM
National Coordinator, NETWORK: A National Catholic Social Justice Lobby

Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick
Stated Clerk, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)

Rabbi Eric H. Yoffie
President, Union of American Hebrew Congregations

Rev. John H. Thomas
General Minister and President, United Church of Christ

Bishop Melvin G. Talbert
Ecumenical Officer, Council of Bishops
The United Methodist Church

James E. Winkler
General Secretary, General Board of Church and Society in the United
Methodist Church

Lois Dauway
Assistant General Secretary, Section of Christian Social Responsibility
Women's Division, United Methodist Church

-end-