From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Africa University opens dorm, launches theology building

From NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG
Date 10 Apr 2001 13:04:23

April 10, 2001 News media contact: Linda Green*(615)742-5470*Nashville,
Tenn. 10-21-31-71BP{172}
NOTE:  Photos available for use with this story.

By Linda Green*

MUTARE, Zimbabwe-More than 600 people from around the world gathered at
United Methodist-related Africa University in Zimbabwe the last weekend in
March for festivities that included the dedication of a new dormitory and
library and groundbreaking for a new theology building.

Among the visitors were more than 100 members from a predominantly African
American congregation in Atlanta who came to see a new residence hall they
financed be formally dedicated as the Ben Hill United Methodist Church Hall
of Residence.

Representatives from the South Carolina Annual (regional) Conference of the
church were also on hand to see earth broken for a new Faculty (college) of
Theology Building that church members throughout the state are underwriting.

A sparkling new library was also dedicated (see separate UMNS story #173) on
the 1500-acre campus.

Ben Hill United Methodist Church, the second-largest African-American United
Methodist congregation in the United States, made the commitment in 1999 to
construct the two-story dormitory after learning of the need for more
student housing at the school.  The residence hall is the largest single
gift to Africa University by a United Methodist congregation in the United
States and will be home to 72 women, according to James Salley, a native of
South Carolina who serves as  the university's associate vice chancellor of
development.

During the dedication service for the dormitory, the Rukudzo Murapa, the
university's vice chancellor, said the structure represented an act of faith
by people who wanted a part in preparing men and women for leadership and
service to God.  "We are whatever we are because someone else made the
sacrifice," he said.  "We thank those of you who are 7000 miles away . .
.who contributed to our being and added to our worthiness," he said.

Throughout the weekend, speaker after speaker referred to the new facilities
as dreams fulfilled.

Ben Hill's pastor, the Rev. McCallister Hollins, said cynics are too quick
to ask,  "where have all the dreamers gone?"

"The dreamers are among us and today we see the reality of a dream. It is
indeed today God's reality," he said.

Hollins, no stranger to Africa University,  reflected on how the
congregation worked to ensure that a dormitory at the university would come
to fruition.  He also noted that on his first visit to the university, he
was likened to the biblical Joseph and welcomed home.

"I was brought to tears because one of my dreams was to always come home,"
he said. "God has me on a mission in America. I know that it is not
perchance that I am in America.

"God put a dream in Joseph's heart and God put a dream in our hearts. We are
your brothers and sisters in the Diaspora. We are clear about that. We are
no longer angry because we were taken from the shores of this great nation
because we are clear about our mission. We are no longer upset because we
know that we are a strange people in a strange land with a strange mission,"
Hollins said.

Addressing university students, officials and other African dignitaries,
Hollins said, "We stand before you today to share with our brothers and
sisters here on this continent of Africa that God has blessed us to build a
place.  Our foreparents have gone through trials and tribulations, through
heartache and heartbreak, but we still stand before you today because what
God has put into place and what God intends to be, shall be."

Ben Hill member Rubin Perry also referred to the dedication of the dormitory
as a dream fulfilled. "It is the completion of a circle and is the beginning
of God's unfolding for our purpose of being placed in the United States."

Journeying to Africa was also significant for Sandi Jarvis, another member
who has undergone significant health problems but wanted to see the
congregation's work first-hand.  "I feel like I've been to God's theater of
the world," she said. "It is just glorious and I say thank you Jesus for
allowing me to come because I have not been well."

Incorporating a first-time trip to Africa with a dormitory dedication was
"an awesome experience" for Vivian Malone Jones.  "This was an overwhelming
experience and it really touched my heart.  I thank God for allowing me to
be here."

Murapa told the university's students that the best way for the school to
thank the Ben Hill church is to produce large numbers of graduates who move
on and do well.

The university's dream of one day having a building to house its theological
program moved a step further toward reality on March 31.

Among the South Carolinians who turned the sun-dried, hard-packed ground to
prepare for the new Faculty of Theology Building were the Rev. Charles
Johnson, council on ministries director, and his wife Deloris.  Also
participating were Salim Ahmed Salim, secretary general of the Organization
of Africa Unity States, Africa University officials, theological faculty,
members of the Africa University Board of Directors, executives of the
United Methodist Board of Higher Education and Ministry and other churchwide
agencies, students and university alumni.

Murapa reminded the visitors that nine years earlier ground had been broken
for the university's first building. The groundbreaking marks another step
in the steady growth of the school, he said, one which will significantly
contribute to the recruitment and training of pastors throughout the
continent.

"Today is special because it is the fulfillment of the dream of the South
Carolina Annual Conference to be involved in a meaningful way in the
development of Africa University," said Johnson.

The South Carolina Annual Conference has 244,000 members, including the
largest constituency of African Americans of any U.S. conference.  It has
embarked upon a three-year campaign effort to raise $2.5 million for Africa
University and church projects in Zimbabwe.  Of that total, $1.7 million
will be given to construct the theological building; $300,000 will endow
scholarships for students to attend the university and $500,000 will be
given to the Zimbabwe Annual Conference earmarked for programs to help
children.

The theology building will relieve overcrowded classrooms and offices and
will provide a separate facility for people who are preparing for fulltime
service in the ordained ministry of the United Methodist Church, Johnson
said.

"I am delighted that South Carolina has made this commitment and it is an
honor and a pleasure to build a facility that will assist the church in its
future needs of qualified leadership," Johnson said. "It is because of our
commitment to leadership and to the development of people, that I stand here
on behalf of my colleagues to break this ground."

A first-year theology student expressed her delight at the prospect of a new
building. "The dream is indeed alive and it is a great privilege to be a
part of it. As a first year student I will be privileged to witness the
construction from start to finish," she said.

David Yemba, dean of the faculty of theology, said the new building, while
planned for theological students, is a gift that will be appreciated by the
entire university community.

Weekend festivities also included an evening of drama, dance and music
featuring students from Africa University and the choir from Rust College, a
historically black United Methodist-related college in Holly Springs, Miss.
Students from 15 countries sang, danced and dramatized stories from a
variety of cultures. The Rust choir, representing children of the Diaspora,
sang the gospel music from their own U.S. heritage.  University students
participated in a model United Nations debate on the situation in the
Democratic Republic of the Congo.

The community, along with the Africa University board of directors, said a
final goodbye to the Rev. Roger Ireson, top executive of the United
Methodist Board of Higher Education and Ministry.  Ireson gave major
attention to the development of Africa University during his 12-year tenure
as head of the Nashville, Tenn.-based agency.

Paying tribute to Ireson during a dinner celebration in his honor was
Herbert Murerwa, Zimbabwe's minister of higher education and technology. He
thanked Ireson for his tireless support of Africa University but also
praised his efforts to advance international relationships among United
Methodist schools, colleges, universities and other educational institutions
throughout the world.

He expressed appreciation for what the United Methodist Church has done for
Africa University, Zimbabwe and the entire continent.  He also expressed
hope that the university will attract a diversity of donors to support its
further development.

"The events at Africa University . . .give us hope for greater possibilities
in the future and I hope we will be able to meet the challenge," Murerwa
said. "With the support of our international partners, Africa University is
being enabled to meet the challenges of its development. It is my sincere
hope that Africa University will grow from strength to strength, and
government will continue to be an important partner in the process."

In an emotional response, Ireson said working on behalf of Africa University
had been a highpoint of his life.  "The students of Africa University will
mend Africa and its countries," he said.  "Africa will be different because
of students at Africa University who are building a new world."

Africa University is the only United Methodist-related degree-granting
institution on the continent. The university opened in March 1992 with 40
students and degree offerings in agriculture and natural resources and in
theology. Today the 871 student enrollment represents 20 African
nationalities.

The university offers undergraduate degrees in agriculture and natural
resources, education, humanities and social sciences, management and
administration, and theology. Master's degrees are offered in business
administration and in theological studies.  Planning is also underway for a
faculty of medical sciences.
# # #
*Green is news director of the Nashville, Tenn. office of United Methodist
News Service, the official news agency of the church.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org