From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PB's letter to Secretary of State Colin Powell

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 20 Apr 2001 12:49:46

2001-87

April 19, 2001

The Honorable Colin Powell
Secretary of State
Department of State
2201 C Street, NW
Room 1210A
Washington, DC  20520

     Dear Mr. Secretary:

     I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your measured and entirely appropriate
comments on the recent violence in Gaza.  While Palestinian attacks on Israeli settlements
are condemnable to be sure, the disproportional response of Israeli forces needs to be
named in the international arena.  You have done that and I am encouraged by your
willingness to hold Israel accountable.

     I deplore the violence that emanates from both sides and pray that somehow a culture
of non-violence will emerge between people of good will on both sides of the conflict.
Ultimately, a just peace cannot result until violence is abandoned.  I pledge to do my part
to promote and uphold such a culture that respects the three faith traditions of the
region.

     I hope that my earlier letter to you of February 1 requesting a meeting between you
and myself with other Christian leaders is under your active consideration.  I enclose
another copy.

     This comes with my warmest regards and deep appreciation for your profound service
and leadership.

     Sincerely,

     Frank T. Griswold
     Presiding Bishop and Primate
     The Episcopal Church

     PS: I am sharing a copy of this letter with fellow Episcopalians because so many are
deeply concerned about the situation in the Middle East.