From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal News Service Briefs

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:11:24 -0400 (EDT)

2001-139

News Briefs

Archbishop Desmond Tutu in residence at EDS during spring semester 2002

     (ENS) Archbishop Desmond Tutu, winner of the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize, will be
in residence at Episcopal Divinity School (EDS) in Cambridge, Massachusetts,
during the spring semester of 2002. He is intentionally known for his historic
opposition to the South African system of apartheid, and for his tireless efforts
for equality and peace throughout the world. At EDS he will lead a seminar on
issues in global Christianity.

     Tutu and his wife, Leah Nomalizo Shenxane, will live on campus during the
spring semester, and he will deliver the commencement address in May 2002. EDS
president Bishop Steven Charleston has expressed the "joy of the entire EDS
community at the prospect of welcoming this legendary leader for peace and
justice into out midst." Charleston added that "the Tutus will be a part of our
life, study, and worship, and a priceless gift to our school. And we hope in turn
to provide them with a chance to relax and reflect." Their daughter, Mpho Tutu,
is a student a EDS studying for the Master's of Divinity degree.

     Initially trained as a teacher, Tutu received his theology training at St.
Peter's Theological College in Johannesburg and King's College, University of
London in England. He was ordained an Anglican priest in 1961. He continued
teaching until 1972 when he became the first black to hold the position of dean
of St. Mary's Cathedral in Johannesburg, and three years later became the first
black to be general secretary of the South African Council of Churches. In 1979,
he called for economic sanctions against the South African government, a method
of opposition to apartheid that caught fire world-wide and ended in abolition of
the system.

     Tutu became the first black Anglican archbishop of Capetown in 1986. In
1995, Nelson Mandela, then president of South Africa, appointed him to serve as
head of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission investigating human rights
violations during 1960-1994. Reflecting on his work on the commission, the
archbishop wrote No Future Without Forgiveness. Among his other noteworthy works
are The Divine Intention and Hope and Suffering.

Deputy Prime Minister gives assurances over residential schools settlement
process

     (ACNS) Led by Archbishop Michael Peers, a senior five-person delegation
representing the House of Bishops of the Anglican Church of Canada meeting May 17
with deputy prime minister Herb Gray received assurances that the Canadian
government is now in a position to "move from dialogue to formal discussions,
leading to an agreement" in the ongoing matter involving "residential schools"
litigation.

     Meeting at his offices in Ottawa, Gray told the Anglican delegation he had
received a definitive mandate two days earlier to act as the designated official
to bring the schools crisis to a satisfactory conclusion by initiating direct
"negotiations" with the four church denominations named in litigation. Gray said
he was not yet able to provide precise details about two key dimensions of these
negotiations--specifically, the timing and parameters of the settlement
procedures--but he indicated he intended to conduct a briefing with the four
churches involved (Roman Catholic, Anglican, United and Presbyterian) within two
weeks.

     During the course of the one-hour meeting, Gray assured Anglican leaders the
government takes the view that church organizations "play a valuable, far-
reaching role in Canadian civil society" and reiterated his view, stated at
earlier meetings, that the government has "no desire to see the churches driven
into bankruptcy" as a result of the residential schools litigation.

     The Anglican delegation was led by Peers, and included Terence Finlay,
archbishop of Ontario, Donald Phillips, bishop of Rupert's Land (Winnipeg),
Archdeacon Jim Boyles, General Secretary of General Synod and Esther Wesley,
coordinator of the Anglican Church Indigenous Healing Fund. The group had pressed
for a meeting with Gray at the instigation of the House of Bishops to convey the
immediate concerns of the General Synod and the Diocese of Cariboo, and urgent
concerns of several other dioceses affected by the schools litigation. During the
meeting, the delegation made a forceful presentation to Gray reiterating the
financial deadlines and programmatic pressures exerted by the residential schools
crisis across Canada.

     The Anglican delegation also took the opportunity during the meeting to
underscore its deep concerns over the approach taken by the Federal Department of
Justice, which has taken an aggressive stance in repeatedly naming the Anglican
Church as a third party defendant in cases brought primarily against the
government as primary defendant.

     "We took the opportunity to remind Mr. Gray of the pressing financial
concerns we are facing as a Church and to urge the government to adopt a
constructive, timely stance in bringing this matter to a speedy conclusion,"
commented Peers following the meeting.

     "We are still waiting for more details setting out the proposed government
approach to the new level of negotiations," said Finlay. "In spite of this, we felt
our meeting with Minister Gray was a positive step, demonstrating goodwill on
both sides."