From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal News Service Briefs

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:44:24 -0400 (EDT)

2001-141

News Briefs

Canadian bishop won't approve blessings, despite vote of synod

     (ENS) Delegates to the synod meeting of the Diocese of New Westminster in
Vancouver voted again for a motion to allow the blessing of same-gender
relationships. And again the bishop refused to give his consent.

     By a 226 to 174 vote, the delegates from 80 parishes in the diocese asked
Bishop Michael Ingham to authorize clergy to bless long-term, covenanted
homosexual relationships. "It is clear now that we have a growing acceptance of
our gay and lesbian members," the bishop said after the vote was announced. Yet
the vote fell short of the 60 percent margin he was looking for before he would
give consent. "Historic changes are never made quickly," he said after hours of
intense debate.

     "I realize this is a very difficult decision for gay and lesbian people, and
I make this decision with some reluctance but with a sense of responsibility both
for the unity of this diocese and for collegiality with the wider church to which
we belong," he said.

     Ingham argued that the synod needs "a little bit more time before the kind
of consensus emerges that we will need in order to move forward with a sense of
unity." The synod narrowly approved a similar resolution three years ago and
launched a lengthly "dialogue process" over the issue. The parishes were paired
and took a look at the biblical issues, the interpretation of theologians, and
what a rite of blessing might look like.

     The bishop also asked church lawyers if he had the authority to authorize
blessings. The legal and canonical commission ruled in April that he did,
clearing the way for the vote by the synod meeting.

Finances improve at National Council of Churches

     (ENS) The executive board of the National Council of Churches (NCC) heard
some good news at its May 30 meeting--the somewhat precarious financial situation
has improved and next year's budget could end with a surplus. In the current
fiscal year, ending June 30, a deficit of about $730,000 will be absorbed by
reserve funds but the future looks brighter.

     "We've come a long way," said General Secretary Bob Edgar. "We haven't
gotten there yet, but we've come a long way." Edgar has trimmed staff and
spending to end years of deficit spending that depleted reserve funds and
precipitated a special appeal to the council's 36 member churches to provide
financial stability. He expects a surplus of about $10,000 next year.

     The council is also exploring new relationships with evangelicals and Roman
Catholics, as well as possible partnerships with groups such as the Salvation
Army and Habitat for Humanity. The NCC launched a Poverty Mobilization last
November, seeking to make a difference in areas such as housing, child poverty,
health care, environment and public policy.

     "We're looking forward with a great deal of anticipation that the Holy
Spirit has something exciting in store for the ecumenical movement," said Stated
Clerk Clifton Kirkpatrick of the Presbyterian Church (USA), a member of the NCC's
vision committee. He told the board that formal conversations with Roman
Catholics could be launched later this year.

Presbyterians will review covenant with Boy Scouts association

     (PCUSA) The Presbyterian Church (USA) will review its covenant with the
National Association of Presbyterian Scouters (NAPS) in the wake of the Supreme
Court decision upholding the right of the Boy Scouts of America to block gays
from serving as troop leaders.

     In 1990 the General Assembly of the PCUSA adopted a "Vision for Presbyterian
Youth Ministry" that included among its goals a vow to "be inclusive of all
people," raising the possibility of a conflict.

     "We would never tell a young person that they couldn't walk into a church or
the youth room because they are gay or lesbian," said Gina Yeager, coordinator of
the church's youth ministry program and liaison to NAPS. "We could never
discriminate." Her office denied a grant from the association to prepare a
resource for a national gathering, although church officials said that the
decision doesn't imply a change in the relationship.

     Yeager also denied reports that the church was beginning to dissociate from
the Boy Scouts, saying that such a move has never even been discussed by her
office. "As long as they're a covenant group, we're fully backing them," she
said.

Indian Christians say Sikh book threatens centuries of harmony between faiths

     (ENI) Negative references to the life of Christ and his family in a book by
a Sikh author have drawn protests from the tiny Christian community in the state
of Punjab in northern India.

     The book on the life of Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikhism, is regarded by
Christians as "an attempt not only to hurt the sentiments of the Christian
community but also to disturb the centuries-old harmonious co-existence of the
Sikhs and Christians," said Vidya Sagar, a Church of North India pastor.

     Christians are charging that the book depicts Jesus as an illegitimate child
thrown into an open stable by his mother who wanted the child to die of exposure
to hide her shame. The book also describes the crucifixion of Christ as a
punishment for his "immoral" relations with Mary Magdalene.

     Bishop Pradeep Kumar Samantaroy said the author "sees Christians as satanic
people without morals who drink and dance nude in clubs and convert masses
through allurement." He said that the book is sending "shock waves throughout the
whole Christian community." He wants the book to be banned and existing copies
destroyed. Christian leaders are also asking the chief priest of the Sikhs "to
take appropriate action against such religious fanatics."

People

     Nashotah House has elected the Rev. Robert S. Munday as the 18th dean and
president of the seminary, the oldest institution, of higher learning, in
Wisconsin. Munday is professor of systematic theology and dean of library and
information services at Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry in Ambridge,
Pennsylvania. A former Southern Baptist minister and seminary professor, Munday
said that he was drawn to the liturgy and sacramental ministry of the Episcopal
Church where he was ordained in 1989.

          The Episcopal Church Foundation has announced the appointment of the Rev.
Ann Hallisey as the new director of Cornerstone, a project that seeks to
strengthen the personal and professional lives of those called to lead Episcopal
congregations. With the appointment, the offices of Cornerstone will move to the
campus of the Church Divinity School of the Pacific in Berkeley, California.
Hallisey is the former rector of the Church of the Ascension in Vallejo,
California, and brings to the position 20 years of ordained and lay parish
leadership experience.

     Prof. Matthew Price has been appointed as director of analytic research for
the Church Pension Fund (CPF), a newly created position. He is former associate
director of Duke University's Pulpit and Pew Project, funded by the Lilly Foundation.
In his new role, Price will draw on the extensive data already collected by the CPF
staff, conduct studies on specific issues, and collaborate with others in the church.