From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterians Pro Life host dinner

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 11 Jun 2001 20:12:28 GMT

Note #6588 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

11-June-201
GA01030

Presbyterians Pro Life host dinner

Emett Barfield

LOUISVILLE, June 10 - The Presbyterians Pro Life organization hosted a
dinner Sunday for some 180 commissioners, observers, and friends at the
Seelbach Hilton Hotel. The organization is known for it twofold commitment
to the beginning of life and the end of life issues. The theme for this
gathering was the role of the church in ministry at the end of life and
cited as a text for the meeting, Psalm 71: 9, "Do not cast me off in the
time of old age; do not forsake me when my strength is spent."

The keynote speaker of the meeting was the distinguished bioethicist and
author, Nigel M.DeS. Cameron, Ph.D. A graduate of Cambridge and Edinburgh
Universities, he has published numerous books among them A History of
Scottish Church History and Theology, and Bioethics and the Future of
Medicine. He is dean of the Wilburforce Forum and teaches at Trinity
University in Deerfield, Ill.

He believes that a century ago, the issue of pain at the end of life was a
great issue, but today the issue of pain at any point of life is greatly
reduced. He said, "The more we deal with pain the less we can deal with
pain." Therefore, we find the rise in euthanasia. As Christians we hold that
death is evil and must continually fight against it.

He concluded his remarks by saying, "We (the Christian community) have an
opportunity to stand by those who find life hard, that we will be there and
be their friends."

Mrs. Rebecca McElroy, past General Assembly vice moderator, shared with the
gathering, her experience caring for a critically ill family member. She
affirmed that it was her church family's support that sustained her and her
immediate family throughout that lengthy illness. She completed her witness
by saying that "It must be our church's mission to take seriously a
commitment to the end of life issues."