From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Assembly to get answer with to three overtures on salvation beliefs

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 2001 03:09:08 GMT

Note #6607 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

11-June-2001
GA01054

Assembly to get answer with to three overtures on salvation beliefs

by Jane Hines

LOUISVILLE, June 11 - Without approving or disapproving Overtures 01-43,
01-51 and 01-52, the Assembly Committee on Theological Issues, Educational
Institutions is sending a response for the Assembly's consideration to these
three overtures.

The statement which was finally approved by a vote of 45 to 9, says: "The
Committee on Theological Issues, Educational Institutions offers its
thanksgiving for the concerns raised by the Presbyteries of San Joaquin, San
Diego and Beaver-Butler regarding faith in Jesus Christ to whom all power in
heaven and on earth has been given.  We recognize a widespread concern in
the church for recovering the place of our confessions in all aspects of
church life.  We recommend that the General Assembly answer overtures 43,51
and 52 by requesting the Office of Theology and Worship to prepare and
widely publicize materials for study and worship that will help our
congregations better understand the theological richness of the Lordship of
Jesus Christ in our Book of Confessions and Book of Order; the imperfections
in our daily responses to God's calling; and ways in which congregational
and individual witness can be strengthened.

     The committee heard 37 people in open hearings before hearing overture
advocates and a report by Joseph Small of the Office of Theology and
Worship.  Small group discussions in the evening session of the committee
preceded the debate on the final statement.  A minority report is planned.